new bike for occasional rider

theslowone
theslowone Posts: 57
edited June 2014 in Commuting general
Hi All
Not sure if this is corrct forum but I was hoping for some advice

My Dad rides fairly regularly on an ebike (he is 70 after all) the issue is that he is also a caravanner and can not lift his ebike onto the roof of the car. He has asked me for some advice as a cyclist, but to be honest I am at a loss.
There are some requirements for his new (only when caravanning) bike.

1. Cheap (approx £250 max)
2. light enough to lift onto car
3. enough low gears to ride up reasonable hills
4. sturdy enough for canal tow paths etc
5. he will not buy from internet unless he can see the bike beforehand

I have suggested Decathlon already but my knowledge of this cheaper end of the market is limited so would appreciate any other suggestions.

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Decathalon is probably the best place for a new cheap bike.

My first port of call would be local second hand shops or even bike recyclers and smaller independent bike shops. What you'll get will be a few years old but will have been brought up to a good standard using quality (but used) parts rather than cheap new parts that'll break quickly.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • theslowone
    theslowone Posts: 57
    Cheers Snowster well spotted
    I texted my Dad and he has just replied that he bought it, fitted with some slicks.
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 6
    snowster wrote:

I'm just starting to look into getting a new bike, have a very old mountain bike from 20 years ago (was very cheap back in the day) which just doesn't get used, so thinking a new bike would be best. Will be using it on roads, cycle paths, bridle ways and maybe the odd gravely track or field with the kids, would this be reasonable for that? Truthfully don't want to spend a fortune but want to spend enough to get something reasonable if that makes sense

How does this compare to the Claud butler here http://www.valecycles.com/commuter-1.html or what about something from here? http://www.hawkcycles.co.uk/4_4_9_Gents ... 1_asc.html I have all 3 shops nearish so can go to any

Sorry for the questions, a very new newby here :oops:
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    Do you not have a halfords near you?
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 6
    snowster wrote:
    Do you not have a halfords near you?

Yep, just wondering how the others compared to the one in halfords and if it was suitable for my needs
  • snowster
    For the price it can't be beaten really nice looking bike on a budget well worth popping down to your nearest halfords and having a look
  • al_kidder
    al_kidder Posts: 73
    Funny that, I just bought an ebike conversion kit and a new bike to be my shopping trolley. Company called Dillenger , who I think operate in the UK, provide a 250W kit with 2 sizes of battery for $600 or $700. The battery is Li ion, so the whole system only weighs about 5 or 6 kilos, and the battery is half of that. And the battery is removable for charging, so the weight is gone when you want to lift it onto the roof.
    So I'd say stretch the budget
  • snowster
    Al Kidder wrote:
    Funny that, I just bought an ebike conversion kit and a new bike to be my shopping trolley. Company called Dillenger , who I think operate in the UK, provide a 250W kit with 2 sizes of battery for $600 or $700. The battery is Li ion, so the whole system only weighs about 5 or 6 kilos, and the battery is half of that. And the battery is removable for charging, so the weight is gone when you want to lift it onto the roof.
    So I'd say stretch the budget
    Real men don't need batteries
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or at least only in lights and GPS devices and the occasional headcam!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • snowster
    The Rookie wrote:
    Or at least only in lights and GPS devices and the occasional headcam!
    Now your just nitpicking....