CO2 inflaters

gcwebbyuk
gcwebbyuk Posts: 1,926
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Can anyone recommend a good CO2 tyre inflater that has a psi gauge?

I am unable to use a mini pump due to injury, but want to carry something with me just in case.

Are they much cop? Most of the ones I see don't have a gauge, so how do you work out what the pressure is, other than carrying a pressure gauge too?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    In an emergency accurate pressure isn't really important. Just do the thumb test.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    ^^ this.

A 16g CO2 cannister will do either an MTB or road tyre to about the right pressure, and just about ok on a 29er MTB tyre. Sort it out properly when you get home.
  • gcwebbyuk
    Good points. I hadn't really thought of it that way.

Are there any you recommend, or are they all much the same?

I heard that tyreinflators.co.uk was the place to get refils.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Get one that has a sleeve or cover on the cylinder unless you like frostbite. They get bloomin cold when they are fired.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I use a Lezyne inflator. As above, make sure it has a sleeve for the cylinder.
    I only use mine for commuting, much easier than breaking out the mini pump at 6:00am in the rain.
    It takes literally seconds to inflate a tyre and I just give them a squeeze to check pressures but if I empty a canister it comes to about 110psi in my road tyre and 35psi in my 2.2"x26" mountain bike tyre.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • njee20
    I like the Innovations Microflate, IMO avoid anything with a trigger to attempt to regulate the release of the gas, they're rubbish. Avoid anything that is also a normal mini pump.
  • stubs
    If you use Co2 on a tubeless set up that has latex sealant let the Co2 out when you get home and pump up with your normal pump. Apparently the Co2 reacts with the latex and can radically shorten the life of the sealant.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • gcwebbyuk
    I'm just using standard inner tubes for the time being, but I had heard of that "issue" too.
  • stubs
    Not a chemist but from what I have read its all about the CO2 reacting with the Latex to form Carbonic acid (I possibly have name wrong) this then forms crystals of Bicarbonates the Latex sticks all the crystals together and you end up with spiky snotballs of Latex and Bicarbonate crystals.

I tried reading op on the chemistry but my eyeballs glazed over after about 3 sentences and my brain started wanting to watch cat videos on youtube.
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    I have 2 types and both work really well.
    A GI Mountain Pipe (CO2 and mini pump) for MTB and a GI Airchuck elite for the road. I'd recommend either and have to many club members who've been happy with their too.
  • gcwebbyuk
    I was just about to hit go on a GI Airchuck Elite from Wiggle, and a pack of 6 cannisters. Spotted the £5 voucher when signing up for newsletter, so just waiting for that to come through.

I will get the first set of cannisters from Wiggle, and then after that, get them from tyreinflators.co.uk.

I hope I don't actually have to use it, but at least I know it will be there if I need it.

p.s. It will be used to inflate Conti Travel Contact 1.75 semi slicks, so I guess it will be able to get a decent pressure into them (rated at 80psi) as they are narrower than typical MTB tyres.
  • njee20
    It'll be enough certainly.