Buy a new bike online or in LBS

gog555
gog555 Posts: 63
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
What are people's opinions on the 2 options of buying a bike online or in a lbs!

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    If you use the search function you'll find that this topic has surfaced several times before eg

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12886680&p=17954033&hilit=online+LBS#p17954033

Comes down to whether your LBS stocks the brand that you have set your heart on. If not then you have no option but to shop elsewhere.

If it does stock your chosen brand them you have the security of a point of contact for servicing and problem solving that is lacking with online purchasing. However don't expect to achieve the discounts you would expect from an online retailer as the LBS has higher overheads per unit sale than for example Wiggle/ Evans etc
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    If you know exactly what you want, buy at the best price online

Otherwise seek an LBS where you *should* get good advice.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    If you're unsure about which size bike to buy go to an LBS and try for size, then ask if they'll price match and if they don't buy the bike on line and save about 20%.
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    As above, if you know the size you want, can set it up for yourself and you're not worried about having a local shop you can go back to if you've any issues, then buying online can save you significant money and gives you more options. Canyon and Rose are especially tempting.
    If you will need assistance to figure out sizing, etc then a local shop is the safer bet.
    I think if you use significant LBS time for advice or fitting while figuring out what to get you should be willing to pay a small premium for the bike. The LBS does have additional costs so if you take advantage of the additional service they provide I don't think it's right to then go elsewhere for the same product.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Ai_1 wrote:
    As above, if you know the size you want, can set it up for yourself and you're not worried about having a local shop you can go back to if you've any issues, then buying online can save you significant money and gives you more options. Canyon and Rose are especially tempting.
    If you will need assistance to figure out sizing, etc then a local shop is the safer bet.
    I think if you use significant LBS time for advice or fitting while figuring out what to get you should be willing to pay a small premium for the bike. The LBS does have additional costs so if you take advantage of the additional service they provide I don't think it's right to then go elsewhere for the same product.

Agree that LBS has higher overheads than online, but that should not prevent them from trying to 'win' a customer by offering an incentive - doesn't have to be a discount, free kit, free servicing, pedals, etc would all do the job. I completely understand the pressures that independent retailers face, and try and support them where they merit it, but at the end of the day it's MY hard-earned!!!! having said that, good advice is priceless. Tell them that you want to buy from them, but that you are tempted to shop online.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • gog555
    gog555 Posts: 63
    Good points all round.
    I would like to buy from lbs but they don't seem to stock the brands that I want.
    Starting to think i all buy online, should get a lot more for my money.