Ixs trail rs helmet or bell super?

gazcarsf1
gazcarsf1 Posts: 130
edited July 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys

Looking at buying a new trail helmet and I have narrowed down to the IXS Trail RS or the Bell Super.
Anyone have one of the above, thoughts on them and how is the sizing big or small?
http://products.ixs-sportsdivision.com/en/mtb-gravity-selection/helmets/trail-rs.html

http://www.bellhelmets.com/cycling/helmets/dirt/super

Thanks in advance
Cube reaction gtc race 2011 26er, Canyon spectral al 8.0 2014, cube reaction gtc race 2015 29er
How much for that!!!!!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Whichever fits the best.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Neither. Get your self on to CRC and get a Troy Lee A1. By far and away the best helmet I've ever owned. I didn't anything could get close to my beloved Giro Xen that died many moons ago but the A1 knocks it out the park. The Super is no where near as well fitting imo having tried both. If you can afford it they're well worth it, and given the crazy prices CRC are chucking them out for (much to my annoyance since I paid pretty much full price for mine at crimbo) then frankly you're crazy to even consider anything else.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    lawman wrote:
    The Super is no where near as well fitting imo having tried both..
    Obviously depending on your odd shaped head.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    cooldad wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    The Super is no where near as well fitting imo having tried both..
    Obviously depending on your odd shaped head.

The A1 seems to be universally liked, several friends have tried one on and then bought one. Comfort in any review you read is highly rated, sure it can get a bit hot, but we live in the UK so for the 14 days a year it's hardly an issue imo.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Troy Lee, 661 and Giro just don't fit my head. Met and Kali do. POC helmets appear to be designed for a non human heads. Never tried Bell or IXS. So not sure why I am commenting on this thread.......
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I like the super but its heavy, I tried on (but havent ridden with) the IXS at urobike last year.... so comfy. Its definitely my next helmet.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Super is great I like mine

+ non-absorbent plush lining
    brow vents actually work
    light for what it is
    great fit on my huge Giro-shaped head

- kind of big (there 's a lot of helmet between your head and the outside world)
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Love my IXS... super light, well vented and the dial-a-fit system works a treat.

I bought it online in the hope it would be a good fit and thankfully wasn't let down... but do try some on if you can.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • nick-gti
    nick-gti Posts: 131
    bit of a sweeping statement on the A1 helmet yes it's loved by many but nearly all reviews say it's red hot and doesn't vent very well. If your a sweaty bugger that will be a problem!

I have the bell super and I love it, super comfy good coverage light enough and the pads are washable. Also has a go pro mount on it which I plan to adapt to fit my light on. it also vents pretty well and the adjustable peak is good.

If your unsure I would advise trying one on though, none of the Fox helmets fitted my head correctly
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Troy Lee helmets don't fit me well at all. I have the Fox Flux which was cheap and a nice fit but a bit too warm.
  • Toyman
    Toyman Posts: 12
    IXS rules. It fits perfectly my head and recently saved myself in a very serious crash
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Toyman wrote:
    IXS rules. It fits perfectly my head and recently saved myself in a very serious crash

Hope you've bought a new one after your crash :wink:

OP - like Cooldad said, whichever fits the best. Go try them on and see, try others a well if you can as you may find something that fits better than both of those you mentioned (I tried loads on before going for the Giro Xar).

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • gazcarsf1
    gazcarsf1 Posts: 130
    Well I ordered a ixs from crc with £10 discount so a very reasonable £75 posted.
    First impressions, fits like a glove ( best fitting helmet I've had full stop) very light weight, looks very good(ordered the blue), plenty of vents and very good coverage round the back of your head.

Still to try it on the bike but it should be fine, if you are looking for a new helmet I would defo put one on your list to try. Really happy with this purchase. :D
    Cube reaction gtc race 2011 26er, Canyon spectral al 8.0 2014, cube reaction gtc race 2015 29er
    How much for that!!!!!
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Glad you're happy! You'll forget you're wearing it on the bike, and good choice on colour too :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Toyman
    Toyman Posts: 12
    Myster101 wrote:

I am thinking about it. Shall I? I know it's mandatory in case of motorcycle helmets
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Toyman wrote:
    Myster101 wrote:

I am thinking about it. Shall I? I know it's mandatory in case of motorcycle helmets

Yup, get a new one as soon as possible. Once you've crashed it it's time for a new one.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive