Mbuk tests wheel weights.

Ferrals
Ferrals Posts: 785
edited July 2014 in MTB general
I was looking at one of the bike tests in mbuk last night (the feb14 one with the whyte 905), their given wheel weights seem large: do they weigh them with tyres, disk rotors etc? The front wheel on the whyte (which is the same as my 901 I think), is stated to weigh 1.95 kg and the back with a hope hub rather than the whyte own brand on the 901 is 2.4. If that is the case I could improve the bike a lot with a fairly modest wheel upgrade as the front alone weighs more than the given weights for many pairs. I can't believe that's the case thought?

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Wheels are weighed inclusive of everything, so if you did an XT cassette, light rotor, lightish tyres and pro2 crest wheel you'd be around 2200g - Not a huge saving for throwing everything away.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Ferrals
    Nice one, thanks Ben, I figured that must be the case. I've been busy ebay-ing off my possessions for upgrades, had been planning on a dropper then saw those figures and thought if they were correct a change of priority is in order!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Lighter wheels and tyres are great for the way they improve the whole responsiveness of the bike (accelerating, manualling, turning etc, but only you know your priorities.

As an example my (26") wheels on my Kraken (spec in first link below) weighed as above (Inc the QR) are 1.57Kg for the front and 1.99Kg for the rear. A rear hub is typically 100-150g heavier than the front and the cassette will add 300-400g.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    The wheels on my Top Fuel were 1550g and 1170g including everything! Alack and alas 29ers add quite a chunk there!
  • benpinnick
    1550? What was on there? If you allow 500g for tyres, 80g for sealant/valves, 250g for a cassette, and 100g for a rotor that only leaves you 620g for a wheel!
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    mine are 1490 & 2205 although the front had a lightweight nobby nic on it so add another 300g for my normal XR4. my sons 24 inch wheels weight in at 1460 & 1925 incl QR
  • benpinnick
    FYI I weighed the following for you:

Hope Pro2 on Arch ex (142/12 no axle)
    Maxxis Ardent 2.25 Exo TR set up tubeless
    XT Cassette
    Hayes L2 disc (A light one ~95g)

2301g for the rear. Yes you could shave some weight on the tyre by choosing a non exo version (~150g) but otherwise theres not much to loose from that without a much pricier set of wheels.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Ferrals
    Thanks Ben, that's good to know, seems like the whyte wheels are reasonable weight, certainly not worth spending 300 quid on a pair of hope/stans at the moment - even though I know rotational weight is more important. When I get a chance I'll weigh the actual wheels off my bike myself to make a better decision.
  • njee20
    benpinnick wrote:
    1550? What was on there? If you allow 500g for tyres, 80g for sealant/valves, 250g for a cassette, and 100g for a rotor that only leaves you 620g for a wheel!

ZTR Podium/A2Z/Revolutions. 2.1" Rocket Ron @ 442g, 140mm KCNC rotor @ 67g, alu rotor bolts @ 7g, XTR cassette @ 268g, Mt zoom it skewer @ 32g. 50g sealant, wheel weight included tape/valve.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    smooth flat ground with those wheels then lol
  • njee20
    Meh, did a couple of 3ft drops on them, rode them at trail centres and race courses all over the place too, never missed a beat.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What do you weight though? 60kg?
  • njee20
    67kg.

Of course they weren't a 'tough' wheelset, but they were perfect for the use I gave them. I'm not tough on kit.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Lol, I'm on lightish, but toughish kit.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you want a proper test I weigh close to 100KG and will take the bikes down a black run for you,if the wheels survive that then you know you are safe :)
  • njee20
    Mine had a 78kg weight limit on the rims, I'd not fancy their chances ;-)
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    njee20 wrote:
    ZTR Podium/A2Z/Revolutions. 2.1" Rocket Ron @ 442g, 140mm KCNC rotor @ 67g, alu rotor bolts @ 7g, XTR cassette @ 268g, Mt zoom it skewer @ 32g. 50g sealant, wheel weight included tape/valve.

Similar to me, but I use Continental tyres
    POAH wrote:
    smooth flat ground with those wheels then lol

nope, just don't be a fat bastard & you don't need heavy wheels :roll:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Or ride 'light' a 60Kg rider smashing into things is more likely to damage a rim than an an 80Kg rider who is lifting/unweighting the wheels as he goes, of course manufacturers have to assume we all ride like idiots when setting weight limits.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I used to have a set of Sun Double Track rims on Hadley hubs with Continental Baron dual ply tyres, Hope 203 rotors and a cheap steel road cassette. I forget the exact weight but the pair were nearly 5kg.
    The rims were so stiff that I was always breaking spokes right up until the spoke flange on the front broke off in three chunks.
  • njee20
    I used to have a set of Sun Double Track rims on Hadley hubs with Continental Baron dual ply tyres, Hope 203 rotors and a cheap steel road cassette. I forget the exact weight but the pair were nearly 5kg.
    The rims were so stiff that I was always breaking spokes right up until the spoke flange on the front broke off in three chunks.

I remember years ago we built a Big Hit up for a customer, who went for Sun Double Wide rims, as they came in 24" as well, they were utterly insane. Not much narrower than a fat bike rim now.