What would bend an inner RD plate?

mitchgixer6
mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
edited June 2014 in Workshop
I was trying to track down an annoying squeek that's been emanating from the RD area of my bike today. I took the RD off to grease the jockey wheels and when putting it all back together I noticed that the chain was jumping off the lower wheel.

Took it all apart again to check everything was in correctly and couldn't see anything obvious, until I looked at it from behind and realised the cage was out of alignment. It seemed the inner cage was bent and once I took the RD back off this was confirmed.

Now I've no idea how this happened. The RD is only 4 months old, hasn't been crashed or even bumped. I managed to bend it back in using the vice but this required quite a lot of force so I'm kind of stumped as to how it got bent in the first place. Any ideas?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Voodoo magic. Or Uri Geller. One of the two most probably.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mitchgixer6
    Thanks for your most helpful post. :roll:
  • Matthewfalle
    No problem - anytime. It seems to fit in with all the other replies to your question.

Oh.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Even a piece of grit can stop a jockey wheel temporarily which can cause the mech to be pulled towards the spokes if this happens things will bend and leave no evidence, if this happens as you go over a bump you may not notice, check hanger is not now bent too.

Although not ruling out the possibility that Matthew may be right :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Matthewfalle
    Thank you - I am happy to see that there is someone else who understands that spiritual pathways leading through the African diaspora can affect the straightness of inner rear derailleur plates.

It's also been scientifically proven that crazy Israeli spoon bending dudes have the power to bend mechs at will, which is why I mentioned it.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mitchgixer6
    Why doesn't it surprise me that 255 of your posts have been in The Bottom Bracket?
  • mitchgixer6
    Thanks for the help team47b. The hanger seems to be ok, gears are shifting OK up and down the cassette. I've got a new plate on order so will be able to compare once it arrives.

Will just need to put out down to being one of those things I think.