Spoke hole plugs instead of rim tape?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
I have a set of Campag Neutrons that have these yellow plastic pugs in the spoke holes instead of rim tape. Are there any potential issues with these when riding in the mountains and generating heat on the descents?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• on-yer-bike
    They're called Velo Plugs: http://veloplug.com/en/home
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,166
    Some like them, some hate them, I am among the latter.... don't see the point of them. Takes ages to fit them ending up with sore thumbs, takes ages to remove them and in the meantime they are not any better than a rim tape
    left the forum March 2023
  • on-yer-bike
    I didnt fit them, but should I remove them for any reason and switch to rim tape before riding in the Alps?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,166
    No, keep them... I am not aware of any problem
    left the forum March 2023
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Are they supposed to be lighter? Sounds like a solution looking for a problem.
    I could recommend them to a colleague having the heaviest wheels in the world built. :wink:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Are they supposed to be lighter? Sounds like a solution looking for a problem.
    I could recommend them to a colleague having the heaviest wheels in the world built. :wink:

They are lighter but they are probably thicker than rim tape in the middle of rim - which might be why my slightly undersized Vittoria Open Corsas won't fit on my Campag Neutrons.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Sore thumbs are part of the course with veloplugs but once fitted (I have tried them on serval wheelsets) and have had no issues. What do you mean by undersized open carsa not fitting on campag wheels. All campag wheels will take a 21mm tyre if you want them too. I have not noticed veloplugs making any difference to how easy or not a tyre is too fit.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I was going to fit these to my new wheels but there are two sizes and I never did find out which I needed.

I understood them to take up less rim well so they make fitting tyres easier.

I used tape and my tyres went on easily, so wasn't worth bothering with.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro