Waterproof overshoes problem/solution

Roadie74
Roadie74 Posts: 18
edited June 2014 in Road general
I've gone through three pairs in the last year, 2 pairs by shimano and 1 by XLC. They are fine in a light rain but in a moderate to heavy downpour they all let water in and my shoes + feet are soaked within 15/20 mins. Rather than the rain itself (unless its a very heavy downpour) its usually down to standing water on the road coming in over the top and gradually working/wicking its way into the shoe. A solution I found would be to wear waterproof tights and fit them over the top of the overshoe but they seem hard to find.

Anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    What I do in winter, to stop water coming in over the top of overshoes, is to use drysuit latex wrist seals. They seal really well on bare skin, then go over the overshoes and are pretty much 100% waterproof.
    You can buy them on Ebay. They are cone type seals in XL - trimmed slightly to fit comfortably. Once on you forget you're wearing them- apart from having dry feet.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    The problem is that your tights get wet, and the water wicks down through the material from the knee right down to the ankle, past any "seals" as the water wicks within the material of the tights itself. This plus water coming up under the shoe from the road means that feet will always be wet.

Dont worry about being wet - worry more about being warm - I wear seal skins and overshoes knowing my feet will still be soaked, but they will be warm and wind-protected.
  • Roadie74
    jermas wrote:
    What I do in winter, to stop water coming in over the top of overshoes, is to use drysuit latex wrist seals. They seal really well on bare skin, then go over the overshoes and are pretty much 100% waterproof.
    You can buy them on Ebay. They are cone type seals in XL - trimmed slightly to fit comfortably. Once on you forget you're wearing them- apart from having dry feet.

Interesting one, overshoes for overshoes :wink: . I had a look on Ebay, could only find large, would seem like an effort getting them on my ankle but i guess they would have to be a tight fit to keep the water out. How far are you trimming them? Say a couple of inches past the overshoe line? A photo would be nice if you could manage it.

Links for waterproof tights anyone?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Do you have mudguards ?
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Roadie74 wrote:
    jermas wrote:

Interesting one, overshoes for overshoes :wink: . I had a look on Ebay, could only find large, would seem like an effort getting them on my ankle but i guess they would have to be a tight fit to keep the water out. How far are you trimming them? Say a couple of inches past the overshoe line? A photo would be nice if you could manage it.

Did you not see my post above?
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Roadie74 wrote:
    jermas wrote:

I trim them so they're not too tight, but still provide a good waterproof seal. They are very stretchy and easy to get on and off (they last well too). The seal has to be in contact with bare skin so in winter, tights/leg warmers go over the outside of the overshoes.
    Still, I wish they could make overshoes with proper seals built in. The best I've use are Gore ones, but without the extra seals, they still leak in heavy rain.
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    Castelli Nanoflex leg warmers are what I use. Sealskinz socks, shoes, overshoes, leg warmers over the top. Bob's yer uncle
  • Roadie74
    Post by cougie » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:17 am
    Do you have mudguards ?

yeah, use the sks raceblades
    Secteur » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:42 am
    Did you not see my post above?

Thanks, I had tried with tights over the top and like you said they also act as wicks, that's why I was looking for water proof tight's/leg warmers so that they could go over the top. Its more for my commute in the morning, so I don't have to dry my socks and shoes on the photocopier :lol:
    jermas » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:46 am
    I trim them so they're not too tight, but still provide a good waterproof seal...

Will try this out if the waterproof legwarmers posted by neilo23 don't work out.

Thanks all.
  • the_jackalcp
    the_jackalcp Posts: 276
    I'm also a user of the latex seals off eBay.

For me they are simply the final piece to the "dry feet" jigsaw. Just get some
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I generally find that no matter the weather im pretty soaked from sweat so a bit more water is nothing.