Help, is my bike to small?

bikerMau5
bikerMau5 Posts: 32
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Having spent over a month reading reviews, buying advice, forums, YouTube etc, I finally settled on a Boardman Road Sport 2014. I collected yesterday from Hellfords and oh boy do they live up to their name, but that's a story for another time.

Being 174cm (5ft 8.5inc) in height, I opted for the 53. On paper this bike is too small for me and in the saddle it feels all good. But it's difficult to really say as I haven't actually rode it, now I know this sounds ridiculous but I am conscious that this bike may need to be returned.

My concern is, when I stand on the floor, straddling the top tube. Well, there's no real polite way to say this so I'll just say it, my bollocks are resting on the top tube. It's not uncomfortable and it's not resting against my skeleton (couldn't use the word bone give the topic, snigger).

So, is my bike too large?

Comments

• freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    bikerMau5 wrote:
    Hi,

Having spent over a month reading reviews, buying advice, forums, YouTube etc, I finally settled on a Boardman Road Sport 2014. I collected yesterday from Hellfords and oh boy do they live up to their name, but that's a story for another time.

Being 174cm (5ft 8.5inc) in height, I opted for the 53. On paper this bike is too small for me and in the saddle it feels all good. But it's difficult to really say as I haven't actually rode it, now I know this sounds ridiculous but I am conscious that this bike may need to be returned.

My concern is, when I stand on the floor, straddling the top tube. Well, there's no real polite way to say this so I'll just say it, my **** are resting on the top tube. It's not uncomfortable and it's not resting against my skeleton (couldn't use the word bone give the topic, snigger).

So, is my bike too large?

Stand over height has very little to do with if the bike is the correct size for you or not.

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12872454&p=17805824
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    From your height you've described it sounds like it's probably about right. I'm 5'10" and ride a 54cm
  • djp66
    djp66 Posts: 115
    Sounds about right but the link provided by freezing77 covers it all.

For what it's worth I'm 5ft7 and ride a 52cm
  • spanner239
    spanner239 Posts: 181
    It depends which size you mean by 53? Do you mean the Medium with 53cm seat tube? If so then this is more like a 56 in other manufacturers sizes, it has a 55.5cm top tube. Why do you say on paper the bike is too small?

The only way you will tell which is the right size is to get Halfords to order you in the next size down and compare both bikes (good luck with that).
  • spanner239 wrote:
    It depends which size you mean by 53? Do you mean the Medium with 53cm seat tube? If so then this is more like a 56 in other manufacturers sizes, it has a 55.5cm top tube. Why do you say on paper the bike is too small?

The only way you will tell which is the right size is to get Halfords to order you in the next size down and compare both bikes (good luck with that).

Rest assured Halfords would have fitted him to the bike perfectly
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • paulie_t
    paulie_t Posts: 8
    I am 5.11 with only 31" inseem and I had the Boardman Road Race as my main bike for 4yrs and it was spot on for me. Size was Medium 53cm. According to all the size charts I am right between the Medium and Large so I would say that the Medium is the perfect size for you. Obviouly with a 31 inch inseem my ***** are always resting right on the top tube on any bike I ride when in stand over. The only exception being my Defy Comp which has a sloping top tube.

Basically, if it feels good when in the saddle, as you describe, then its all good. Try not to worry too much about it, the Boardmans are amazing bikes just get out and enjoy it :)
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    If your balls are resting on the top tube then it could be too large. You may have short legs for your height which would exacerbate the problem. I would go and try a size smaller. Im 178 and I would probably buy a medium so youre more likely to be small. Halfords have expert fitters and very experienced knowledgeable staff, so they should be able to help you. Isnt there any where else to buy a Boardman?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    If this is your first road bike it might simply take some time getting used to. I'm the same measurements as you and started with a medium Boardman road team 55.5mm top tube and 53mm seat tube. Always felt a little too stretch out, so sold it it on after a couple of years and got a Spesh Roubaix with a 54.5mm top tube. That went too after a while, and now I have 3 bikes (best, winter trainer and a crosser) all with 55 or 55.5mm top tubes :oops: Looks like the Boardman was the right size for me after all, but it took a reasonably long time to get used to being stretched out a little, now anything smaller feels cramped. I'd say stick with it...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • bikerMau5
    bikerMau5 Posts: 32
    Having fiddled with the saddle & handlebars I'm feeling pretty comfortable in the saddle. Still a little concerned at the stand over height but being that my legs are pretty short and given the advice on here I reckon this bike is a suitable fit. Before I take it out I might take some pics of me in the saddle, if anyone fancies take a look?

Many thanks btw, for everyone's advice. :D
  • Woooh 1st post!!!
    I'm the same measurements as you and I have a 2012 Boardman comp 53cm. I have the same 'issue' should we say, but it's never been a problem. I've started cycling again over the last month and I have never worried about this. However I never got my bike setup for me (as Halfords don't do that sort of thing). I would strongly recommend either trawling the internet to get seat height/fore and aft seat/Cleats/handlebar positions right or go get a bike fit from you're LBS if you've got the cash. I've spent the last month cycling in the wrong position (seat to high, to far forward, cleats to far back) because I forgot that It wasn't set up for me and I won't lie, it's been really painful at times. After lots of tweeking, I have got the right position and nothing hurts post ride anymore.

Sadly you can only buy Boardman from Halfords and now that Chris has sold the Company to them, it's not gonna change anytime soon. If I bought one again, I'd set it up myself or take it to a trusted LBS as I sadly have no more confidence in my local Halfords, but that's just my opinion. But, I love these bikes and mine is great. Just need to keep adding those miles on it.