Tubeless tire degredation

100%
100% Posts: 236
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I'm having a problem re-seating a Nobby Nic tire I'm running on a Stan's 26" rim. The reason I'm posting is previously I've had no problems at all with these tires, even been able to seat and inflate them with no sealant at all. Now I simply cannot get it to seat at all.

I'm fairly sure I've read that the sealant slowly eats into the sidewalls of the tire and weakens then - I'm thinking that's what's happened here after several years of no hassles. Anyone else know if that's correct regarding the sealant or had a similar issue?

Cheers,
Steve

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No, more likely the bead has just degraded with age, you see that with non tubeless at all.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    There were issues with sealant and some tyres. There was/is a list on Stan's website of tyres with known issues.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • 100%
    100% Posts: 236
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I've had a look and I don't think there should be any problems with these tires. They've been working well for quite a long time, that's for sure.

It may be that the bead has degraded with age; from a quick read on the Stan's website, I think the best thing is to clean any old sealant off and try again. If it still doesn't seat, I might try some soapy water but otherwise perhaps it's best just to replace and move on.

Cheers,
    Steve
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is it not seating, or not sealing?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    I would ensure that you've cleaned the bead....crusty old Stans does nothing to help seat it. Also, while off the bike, has it kinked in anyway? If it's lost its shape, stick a tube in and leave if for an hour at 40psi...then remove one side (the other will already be seated) and try again.

A couple of tricks that have worked for me in the past!