Aldi Cycling Event Sunday 29th June

Comments

• I'm tempted by the wire mesh basket...
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/sunday-29th-june/product-detail/ps/p/wire-mesh-bike-basket/
    Does anyone know how these compare with the more traditional wicker type?
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • sirmol
    sirmol Posts: 287
    I'm tempted by the wire mesh basket...
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/sunday-29th-june/product-detail/ps/p/wire-mesh-bike-basket/
    Does anyone know how these compare with the more traditional wicker type?
    :lol::lol:
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    edited June 2014
    quite Like The Look Off The Yellow T Shirt..
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    Awesome pricing. GT85 at £2.99 when it's £2.25 in Halfords.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    rob21 wrote:
    quite Like TRhe Look Off The Yellow T Shirt..

Is it an image of a Viking or one of those Tesco jobbies?

Was tempted but the bike is the wrong way around :roll:
    Also spoke count looks stupidly high :lol:
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    Bike maintenance stand looks of interest and the stirrup pump seeing as my offspring have somehow managed to sheer the mount of the one I bought last year rendering it bin food.

Had to resort to using a gas cartridge last week. my cheapskate gene nearly had a fit.
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    If the stand is anything like the Lidl one it's worth getting. I will steer well clear of my Aldi though, the last one was carnage, not worth ruining a good mood for some cheaper gloves and socks.

That said, the GPS watch looks decent for running.
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    What's the yellow t shirt say?
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • Anonymous
    dilatory wrote:

Does it? :shock:

I would spend the extra £15 and get a Garmin 110 personally.

Its worth it for looks alone, but must be better quality and I don't think I remember seeing Crane on the list of strava compatible devices.
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    Carbonator wrote:
    dilatory wrote:

Its worth it for looks alone, but must be better quality and I don't think I remember seeing Crane on the list of strava compatible devices.

Bryton's aren't on that list either but seem to sell just fine. You just upload the file manually.

Still, a GPS watch with HRM for £65 seems pretty good to me. Handtec have a 110 only (no HRM) for £80. It all depends if you want to pay more for the Garmin name I suppose.

That said I've not used one of them and wouldn't expect too much but it'd be a good entry level buy to see if you want to invest in something a bit better.
  • rob21
    Druidor wrote:
    Bike maintenance stand looks of interest and the stirrup pump seeing as my offspring have somehow managed to sheer the mount of the one I bought last year rendering it bin food.

Had to resort to using a gas cartridge last week. my cheapskate gene nearly had a fit.
    i bought a stand from Aldi 3 years ago and it is still going strong,as for the pump in my experiance thier shite.
  • rob21
    Carbonator wrote:
    rob21 wrote:

ere i have a viking fixie nowt wrong with viking :lol:
  • Anonymous
    edited June 2014
    dilatory wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    dilatory wrote:

Bryton's aren't on that list either but seem to sell just fine. You just upload the file manually.

Still, a GPS watch with HRM for £65 seems pretty good to me. Handtec have a 110 only (no HRM) for £80. It all depends if you want to pay more for the Garmin name I suppose.

That said I've not used one of them and wouldn't expect too much but it'd be a good entry level buy to see if you want to invest in something a bit better.

HRM lol. Mine and my wives have been in the box's unused for years.

Its very contradictory to say that its an entry level/invest before splashing out purchase, in the same post as saying a HRM is worth having and at all needed by the people buying it.

Its not really that much more expensive for a decent one made by the market leader with decades of experience and massive R&D.
    If you then feel you need/want a HRM you get the nice soft Garmin 'premium' one as your 'upgrade' rather than buying a second watch.

Upload manually? That sounds slow and painful. What exactly is involved in doing that?

Edit: 'Virtual Partner' is the feature I would strongly recommend. Very useful for improving times and knowing how well each run/ride is going (the main reason for a GPS watch IMO).
    OK, so its nearly twice the cost but Forerunner 210 is £135 inc. HRM (maybe cheaper without).

If you find you do not like having a GPS watch the Garmin will be very saleable, but the Crane...........not so much.
  • Anonymous
    rob21 wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:
    rob21 wrote:

ere i have a viking fixie nowt wrong with viking :lol:

Shooting yourself in the foot me thinks.

Where in my post did I say there was?..............

................But you are right...........there is :wink:
  • Colinthecop
    Colinthecop Posts: 996
    Dippydog2 wrote:

But you might get seen, then you have the shame of people knowing you shop in Halfords... :shock:
  • rob21
    been to Aldi and the kit was good quality imo
  • Anonymous
    Dippydog2 wrote:

£2.03 if you are a BC member isn't it?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Anti ageing sun cream , get in :)
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    Bike stand and stirrup pump purchased this morning.

Got the Look of death from the missus.

made it a doddle setting the gears back up.
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    Got a bike stand myself, cracking value for money. It's certainly good enough for any home mechanic on here anyway.
  • Anonymous
    Mike wrote:
    Got a bike stand myself, cracking value for money. It's certainly good enough for any home mechanic on here anyway.

Glad you are pleased with your purchase, but.....

Are home mechanics on here different to home mechanics not on here?

You could surely make a stand that was 'good enough' I would have thought.
    Why do you have to be a super non bikeradar home mechanic to appreciate a better engineered product?
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Dippydog2 wrote:

£1.99 in the Aldi I visited.
  • IanRCarter
    IanRCarter Posts: 217
    I bought the pump last year, it's good but quite often the air comes through the wrong valve. The trick to fixing it is unscrewing the pump head from the hose, taking it off and sucking where the air would blow through. It obviously shifts whatever is inside the pump head which chooses which valve the air will come through. Better than banging it on a hard surface, which is the best information I could find for fixing it.
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    Carbonator wrote:
    Mike wrote:

Glad you are pleased with your purchase, but.....

Are home mechanics on here different to home mechanics not on here?

You could surely make a stand that was 'good enough' I would have thought.
    Why do you have to be a super non bikeradar home mechanic to appreciate a better engineered product?

Ha! I knew someone would notice. I never meant anything by it other than people like to point out how superior they are normally, I was just saying the stand is good enough. Even it it is a 30 quid Aldi one,
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Druidor wrote:
    Bike stand and stirrup pump purchased this morning.

Got the Look of death from the missus.

made it a doddle setting the gears back up.

Was she in Aldi too?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Anonymous
    IanRCarter wrote:
    I bought the pump last year, it's good but quite often the air comes through the wrong valve. The trick to fixing it is unscrewing the pump head from the hose, taking it off and sucking where the air would blow through. It obviously shifts whatever is inside the pump head which chooses which valve the air will come through. Better than banging it on a hard surface, which is the best information I could find for fixing it.

Is this an endorsement, a warning, or just top tip for those that already have one and do not want to throw it in the bin, learn from there mistake, and buy a decent one?
  • kaiserpc
    kaiserpc Posts: 22
    Has anyone bought the watch and used it on their bike yet? I got it but it seems to be about 4 seconds behind in the current speed updates - so you could be going up a hill at 25km/hr according to the watch.

According to another forum there is gps update interval setting that can be set to 1 to 10 seconds - so if I could update the interval to 1 second it would probably fix it. But I can't find this setting anywhere :-(

Also the manual says not to use a traditional cycling computer in conjunction with the watch as it could interfere with the speed results - and I left my computer on the bike. So I will remove it and retest.

I don't want to return it, as it seems a quality piece of kit
  • Anonymous
    Not sure what update speed my edge 500 is set to but it does about the same thing and I felt it was just a characteristic of using just gps for current speed.

Think it uses a lot of memory if you have too fast an update speed and does not track ride very well if its too slow.

Average speed is more useful anyway isn't it?
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    My local Aldi sold out of stands on Sunday! Same day sell out. I ordered a similar looking one off of eBay instead, same price. Hopefully it will be as good.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • rob21