Wheel question, 25mm conti gp4000s ok on excellights?

darkhairedlord
darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
edited June 2014 in Road buying advice
Another wheels question.
I've been suffering from tingly fingers and feet on longer rides 50m + but generally only while on the rougher road surfaces. I would like to go to wider tyres like the 25 gp4000s (which I understand comes up large) but I'm concerned they might lead to poor handling on my narrow excellight rims, is this correct or is there a limit to how wide I can go?
FOr context I do not race but always ride as fast as I can for the distance I'm doing, typically a third of the way down a strava segment list but looking to improve.

Comments

• dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    I've been running the 25 version of the Michelin Pro4 Endurance for a couple of months now without an any issues, as such I've started to fit the Veloflex Corsa 25s to another pair this weekend.

I think you'll just be limited to your frame/brake clearance and shouldn't need to worry so much about the rims.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • bregante
    bregante Posts: 271
    I have exactly that combination. 25 mm gp 4000's on excellights and haven't had any handling issues at all. Running them at 90 psi front and 100 on the rear.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,234
    Perfectly fine... we have run 32 mm cross tyres on Ambrosio rims for Paris Roubaix, so 25 is nothing
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    of course it will be fine. On those rims the width will be 25mm if you put that tyre on a 23mm wide rim it will measure up at 27mm but you don't have a wider rims yet.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    Do check the clearance though - I put some 25mm Pro4s on my Look and the clearance was so tight any tiny stone would scrape that after a couple of hundred yards I came back and switched them. Luckily they fit OK on my Focus. Are you sure Contis run wide - I seem to remember a few years back Michelin complaining Conti made thinner tyres than advertised giving them the edge on weight and I've a set of 25mm Gatorskins which are visibly narrower than the 25mm Pro4s.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Cheers guys. Most appreciated