ritchey 4 axis stem

cyclosteve
cyclosteve Posts: 150
edited June 2014 in Workshop
hi every one need advise and help . I was out on bike yesterday and noticed a creek when out saddle. ive found problem I think. the bottom bolt on my ritchey wcs 4 axis stem where it fits to top of forks is stripped don't know how as I use there torque thingy. ive taken the washer off the bolt and it tightens up till the torque thingy clicks as it should. my question is
1 will it hold
2 can I re tap it 6mm and fit new bolt (not sure if stem is complete carbon or allot with carbon covering )
3 or just replace at a cost £130 :cry:

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Any play/movement with it now?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cyclosteve
    no play now. I took the washer off the bolt so to give a little more thread. re fitted and it does fit and toque up but worried it can only be on a few threads as the washer was only about 1mm thick so not sure
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Who knows if it will hold? do you want to find out???
    what you ve done is fine as a get you home bodge.... ask yourself how would you feel as you lay in the road having crashed at 40+mph?

replace with a 3T pro stem for a 3rd of the price and a few grams more.
  • Matthewfalle
    Hmmmmm - tricky one.

Theoretically a re tap should be ok but it a trust thing really. Just not sure on this one. I understand that they have 2 bolts and a stem should be secure-ish just using the one but hmmmmmmmm...... Just not sure.

I'd ignore over dramatic hyperbole as posted and probably look for a new one, keeping this one as a turbo trainer bike stem/paperweight.

If you like them go for exactly the same in the sales/deals/using discount codes.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Hmmmmm - tricky one.

Theoretically a re tap should be ok but it a trust thing really. Just not sure on this one. I understand that they have 2 bolts and a stem should be secure-ish just using the one but hmmmmmmmm...... Just not sure.

I'd ignore over dramatic hyperbole as posted and probably look for a new one, keeping this one as a turbo trainer bike stem/paperweight.

If you like them go for exactly the same in the sales/deals/using discount codes.

Your not sure? secure..ish? theoretically?
  • Matthewfalle
    Yup - you read that right.

I'd re tap and use it on the single speed bumble bike personally but not having seen it and not knowing what he's going to do with it you can't say.

You seem very agitated though. Is there something wrong? Don't be cross. It's a sunny Sunday.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cyclosteve
    points taken on board. scrapped it and ordered new one
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Helicoil - stronger than new for less than a tenner
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..