suspension size

silencedmykham
silencedmykham Posts: 9
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
hi guy's i am new to this forum but have been watching your vids on youtube and coming to the site for a while and i love it you all do a great job.
now i have a question if anyone can answer for me, is there a limit in size to how much you can increase your suspension travel ?
for instance can i put 160mm forks on a bike what came with 100mm forks ?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Yes there is a limit. And in most cases what you are suggesting is a very bad idea and will end in tears.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • thanks for the reply nick.
    do you know what the limit is ?
    i have looked around and from what i can gather it is 20mm bigger than what it came with is this correct ?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends on the frame. On One 456 is designed for 4, 5 or 6" forks, hence the name. Most aren't.

You would be better of going for better suspension rather than more.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • i have some dh bike's with 180mm and 200mm forks on them and my son's love them but they both have jump bike's one 26" with 100mm forks + 15" frame and one 24" with 50mm forks + 13" frame and they both want bigger forks because they think it will be better so i said i don't think you can but i will look into it and from what i can gather it is about 20mm at most that you can go up but the forks they have on are really good so it's not performance they are after it's purely more travel
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    So what make/model frame?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Not a good idea on jump frames and even worse on dirtalike frames.

But again what are they?

Questions like this need specifics.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sorry they are mongoose fireball's both of them
  • supersonic
    I'd say 100mm was the limit for this type of frame.
  • would that also be for the 24" to ?
  • supersonic
    Whatever was on it to be honest. 80mm wasn't it?
  • nah 50mm was on it, but yeah that is what i was saying to them it's better to just keep with what you have on it or buy better not bigger, so thank you for your help i will let my son's know they will be keeping there shock's and my wallet will be staying the same weight muhahaha ;)
  • so just one more thing, would that apply to say a dh bike to ?
    for instance i have a 2010 specialized big hit 2 and it has 180mm rockshox 302s on, if i wanted to change them to rockshox boxer 200mm would that be bad ?
    this wouldn't be for travel just because they are a better more adjustable fork
  • cooldad
    The difference between 180 and 200mm is only 10% or less taking a bit of sag into account.
    The difference in your first post is 60%.
    50mm to 100mm is 100%.

Slight difference.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    The Mongooses come with really rubbish forks, so anything decent would be an improvement.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • yeah i agree on the 24" they are a little bit rubbish but the 26" i ride myself (when my son allows it lol) and i think they are really nice forks considering the price the fireball costs, they feel really good to me and i ride dh mainly.
    but yeah the 180mm to 200mm answer is what i was hoping for as i really want to buy the 200mm boxer forks they have more adjustment than mine and also look so much better coming all the way up to the bars.
  • supersonic
    It really does depends on the frame. And your warranty!