schwalbe racing ralph evo dd pacestar 2,25" folding

pgodwin555
pgodwin555 Posts: 66
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi All,

I have been doing some hunting and cannot find any feedback on the double defense Racing Ralphs. Thinking of getting this tyre as rear for my full suspension. I ride in surrey hills so need to make sure its up to the job, don't want to be fixing punctures all the time. I run it with tubes.

Would appreicate any feedback from people that maybe running this tyre. Would like something fairly light and quick rolling hence why added to my shortlist.

I am currently using a hutchinson toro enduro 2.35 but split the side wall and fancy something different for a change.

Other option is Maxxis Ardent EXO 2.25 or Spec Ground Control 2.3

Cheers
Paul

Comments

• I run them on my XC hardtail (front and back) for 3 seasons a year and I like them a lot. Great for hard-pack, good for everything else. (I change them out come winter as it gets very wet and muddy around here.)
    Previously had Kenda Small Block 8 and prefer the Ralphs as a lightish fast rolling tyre. Can't comment on the other two in your shortlist.
    Haven't had a puncture for the last 1000+ miles (probably cursed myself now). They've done the coast-2-coast, trail centres, my local woods and even been used as a commuter tyre with no issues.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Personally I think DD Schwalbes are overkill for the Surrey Hills, there's no rocks. I use normal Evo Schwalbes - generally Rocket Rons or Racing Ralphs, with no ill effects, rarely get any punctures, but I do run tubeless.

If you're worried about it I'd consider Snakeskin ones, but wouldn't go Double Defence myself.
  • BigStu2
    BigStu2 Posts: 794
    DD are only available in 26" but you probably already know that. I'm running snakeskin 29ers on an Orange Gyro and a Kona Unit, love em, have a Rocket Ron on the front of the Gyro at the moment and it is noticably smaller in size even though their both 2.25's, haven't had a problem with the sidewalls even with all the granite littering the trails over here in Swedeland. :)
    .........all
    ...at........work
    fun..................&
    ..no.............no
    .....is......play
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Go Maxxis Ardent Race IMHO. Ive run snakeskin raplphs but they didnt last long, split to easily. The Ardent race are as quick rolloing I would say, more predictable, and much tougher.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.