Custom Donhou

kingstonian
kingstonian Posts: 2,847
edited June 2014 in Your road bikes
After a long wait, it finally arrived!!! Picked it up today, had a really short ride but will take it for a proper spin tomorrow.

Front triangle is Reynolds 853, rear Columbus XCR.
WoundUp forks
Shimano Ultegra Di2
Brakes are Shimano Hydraulic discs
Custom stem made by tom donhou - love it!!!
Nitto Noodles bars
Nitto seatpost
Chris King headset and hubs
Hplus Archetype rims
Sapim CXray spokes
Selle Italia SLS Kit Carbonio Flow saddle

02EABC87-FF97-42E3-95D8-D9192933D4EC_zpsvp1tpbyb.jpg

916B7987-D4AF-4D1B-81F0-48BD92DAB513_zpskplxr6ir.jpg

8EEB0EEE-B03C-4CAC-BE0F-85C469BBE3D8_zps2kwhl5uy.jpg

F1E440EE-BFDF-4BDF-A26A-747CA1D82DBA_zpsqx1hpmzt.jpg

3B44E60F-6CB7-42CF-BE5C-A5105A038847_zps5ygp2bh2.jpg

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    :D:D
    left the forum March 2023
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Wow. That is very special indeed. I don't often "wish I had that bike", but this comes very close!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Nice. Where'd he put the battery pack?
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    He knows what he's doing for sure.

What a fabulous machine. Looks amazing and I am sure it will bring you much joy.
  • kingstonian
    styxd wrote:
    Nice. Where'd he put the battery pack?

Think it is somewhere in the seatpost, or further down in the seat tube. I haven't looked yet. We went for the internal battery because it makes the bike look so much cleaner
  • kingstonian
    marcusjb wrote:
    He knows what he's doing for sure.

What a fabulous machine. Looks amazing and I am sure it will bring you much joy.

He does indeed - I love the little details and the quality of the work is first class. Plus he is a good bloke, which helps too.

This will be my "go to" bike for years, I can't wait to put plenty of miles under its wheels.
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588
    Very, very cool! I saw it as a Donhou Facebook post today and wondered if it was yours.

At the risk of sounding critical of what is a thoroughly gorgeous bike, once you've got the money, upgrade the Ultegra bits; it's not classy enough for something that good-looking.

Can't wait to read the ride report!
  • Cheshire Cat
    Cheshire Cat Posts: 309
    Perfect!!!
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • daviddk0
    daviddk0 Posts: 10
    Very nice!
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Nice and good pictures too.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    There are a couple of things I would have done differently. The nice thing about a disc frame is clearance and generally you can fit any tyre you want, even more so if you go for a wide rim as you did. In your case the benefit is negated by the choice of a fork with very tight clearance... I'd say 27-28mm is probably as far as you can go? This means it will never be an off roader, which is a bit of a shame IMO, as that's what these things are good for.

At the rear you seem to have more clearance.
    left the forum March 2023
  • kingstonian
    Ugo - yes, I had thought long and hard about clearance. I have 25's on the bike today, it will comfortably take 28mm but no higher. That is going to be big enough for what I will be using the bike for.

Tom suggested the rims, to be perfectly honest my knowledge on components is out of date so I relied on his input.
  • iwantblue
    iwantblue Posts: 134
    'tis a thing of beauty.... 8)

definately needed/needs a custom bracket for that Di2 JB though, the rubber strap looks so out of place on one of the most special parts of the bike, :?

and I think I'm a little bit with Mr Trousers.. Whilst I'd love to have Ultegra Di2 on my bike or future bike , that beautiful Chrome and alloy work deseves a retro chrome/alloy crankset, although a Campy carbon spider might fit nicely with the forks, but the rings need to be shiney :roll:

Still beautiful, and only an opinion :)
  • kingstonian
    It is a very fair point about going for a chrome crankset. The problem is that there is virtually nothing on the market, the only thing I found was Campag Athena and In don't like the thumb button. Then I tried Di2 and my mind was made up.
  • This is wonderful. Good work!
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Superb :)
  • sarm34
    sarm34 Posts: 182
    now that is Hubba Hubba :D
  • iwantblue
    iwantblue Posts: 134
    It is a very fair point about going for a chrome crankset. The problem is that there is virtually nothing on the market, the only thing I found was Campag Athena and In don't like the thumb button. Then I tried Di2 and my mind was made up.

I know what you mean... I went looking for an example when I posted it, only a quick look but I soon realised what I wanted in my head wasn't readily available ;)

I do love the name 'n'logo, that raised work looks the nutts...