Is there a ROAD saddle type you cant get along with ?

Serious Cat
Serious Cat Posts: 489
edited June 2014 in Road general
So many different types of road saddle design but for me I just can't get along with saddles that have a rise at the rear as I literally slide off them :D When I set up a saddle it's hugely important the area where I am seated is absolutely flat and parallel to the ground with nary a rise in sight. I just love flat saddles and cutouts or swoops and curves do not suit me at all' My recent time with a scoop saddle was the stuff nightmares are made of :shock: and my bum was paralysed after about 20 mins use no matter what. What type saddle designs can't you live with and why not ?
This serious internet site..............I serious cat

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    brooks.jpeg
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • bowdy1987
    bowdy1987 Posts: 96
    Im currently experiencing some chafing, I don't know whether it's down to shorts or saddle. But I've never been able to get on with my specialized Romin. I have an fsa k force carbon that I stripped bare. It's just a bare piece of carbon and I love it, but lately I've been having a lot of discomfort with chafing, going to go to merlin later for some new bibs and see how I go
  • Serious Cat
    The much loved spoon saddle was another ar$e breaker for me and it just shows how individual saddle choice is. The lovely and flat cheapo selle q-bik was a winner for me a while back and it just seems sculpted saddles are types my ar$e doesn't like.
  • Serious Cat
    Have you tried the antares?

Gorgeous looking saddle but oh so many reports about it being sore on longer rides , sposed to be a sit bones killer from what I've read
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    NapoleonD wrote:
    brooks.jpeg

Typical audaxer would suggest that is just about broken in and ready to offer decades of great service.

I also never really got on with the charge spoon - it was only on my commuting bike which only does 4-5000km a year, but I put up with it for too long. Replaced with a Brooks C17 now.
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Ive yet to find out what my ideal saddle is! I just don't have the funds to keep trialing and by error finding out. Is there a good way to narrow down the search? I use a Spoon at the moment, its okay, but really not comfortable, just okay. I used a Fizik Arione for a while, same sort of thing, not great not bad. Pah! totally confusing.
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Specialized saddles, I've tried a Toupe and the Romin and they were the most uncomfortable thing to sit on since I accidentally sat on a section of gripper strip when I was nine.
    I use a Selle Italia slr carbonio flow and that is like a sofa in comparison to either of those saddles.
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    Bozman wrote:
    Specialized saddles, I've tried a Toupe and the Romin and they were the most uncomfortable thing to sit on since I accidentally sat on a section of gripper strip when I was nine.
    I use a Selle Italia slr carbonio flow and that is like a sofa in comparison to either of those saddles.
    Weird. I tried SelleSLR and hated it. I do have four Toupes though and love them.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Can't get on with anything that has foam or gel.

Like b17 prefer swift or Spa wharfe. No padding, slight rear rise to push against.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Have used Ariones since they came out (15 years), but this spring, for some unknown reason, stopped getting on with them. Have replaced with Chameleon Kurve on the best bike, which is fantastic, and Antares on 2 other road bikes which I'm still getting used to.
  • mm1
    Oops double post.
  • Serious Cat
    mm1 wrote:
    Have used Ariones since they came out (15 years), but this spring, for some unknown reason, stopped getting on with them. Have replaced with Chameleon Kurve on the best bike, which is fantastic, and Antares on 2 other road bikes which I'm still getting used to.

When you say getting used to the antares....in what respect ?
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    I suffered really bad chaffing using an Antares, it's got a really hard underside edge, very unforgiving.
    Sold it and got an Arione which was better. I then learn't how to roll my hips forward and sit on where you're supposed to be sitting, big revelation, so maybe the Antares would have been fine after all.

I think a lot of saddle issues are to do with set up and positioning on the bike, plus I suspect that when I tire less weight is supported by my legs and more by my sit bones.
  • mm1
    The Kurve was perfect from the off, but pressure distribution on the Antares is slightly different to Arione (seems more pronounced on the sit bones) and it's taken me a while to get the angle to where I think its spot on (a tiny bit more nose up than I had the Arione, which was dead level).
  • Serious Cat
    I sat on another riders selle C2 gel today and jeezus it was like sitting on a slab of concrete :shock: