Wobbly Forks

marky14mark
marky14mark Posts: 5
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all, I've got a small issue with my forks which perhaps someone might have some useful advice about. I've got a Trek 4300 and I've fitted a Rockshox J2 fork but there's movement in the head tube. Both the frame and the forks are second hand, the frame came with what I presume is the stock Aheadset head set, but was missing a crown race because the original fork had an integrated crown. The Rockshox don't have an integrated crown, so I bought an Aheadset crown race thinking this would solve the problem, however while it has reduced the movement slightly it's still moving about too much to ride on.

A little stumped so any and all thoughts welcomed! Thanks

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Forks do not have integrated crowns races. The crown race is part of the headset. Not all headsets of the sane size or design use the same crown race.

ID the headset and then try and get the correct race.

Or just buy a new headset and have it fitted to the frame and th race fitted to the fork.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I guess the race on the old forks was just heavily corroded to the steerer then? I did try to remove it before I sold the forks but it didn't budge, so I presumed it was part of the fork. May just buy a new headset then to be honest, it's not clear what type of Aheadset is on the frame and it's an Aheadset crown that I've already bought. Only thing that concerns me is that it seems to be moving at the top of the tube and the bottom, would a new headset rectify that?
  • nicklouse
    Aheadset is a type not a make there are many makes of Aheadsets and each make will have many versions.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Ok thanks, I thought Aheadset was a brand. Final question, my Rockshox for says in the manual it's a straight 1 1/8 steerer and I can't find anything online to suggest otherwise, but the very base of the steerer (approx. 10mm or so) is wider than 1 1/8, so I've been trying to find info on whether or not I'd need a headset with a 1 1/2 bottom cup and a 1 1/8 top cup (if that's possible?)

Appreciate the help so far; not a problem I've encountered before so I'm trying to learn as I go
  • nicklouse
    Yes the base is wider than the top. 30mm and 28mm for a straight 1 1/8 steerer.

You can have a good read on park tools link in my sig.
  • Cheers, I ended up getting a new headset in the end, managed to find one that didn't break the bank so it just seemed like the easiest way to go. Thanks for all your help