Newbie: bike pedal wheel has gone

omarm
omarm Posts: 73
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got a folding mountain bike I got from Argos. I thought i'd get before getting seriously into it all

The pedal wheel has gone :(
The pedals themselves are OK... just the wheel in the middle seems to have lost its threading (I'm just guessing)

How do I get fixed?
There's a very small hole where I assume you stick something in to tighten

I'm hoping the threading hasn't gone and it just needs tightening

How it happened: there was a very small hill at the local park. I was having fun going up it and come down. I did this maybe 10 times and it just went

Thanks in advance

Apologies if this is the wrong forum section to post in... I couldn't see where else to post

Thanks

Omar

Comments

• steelo
    steelo Posts: 542
    If you buy a bike from Argos and actually ride it off-road then expect it to break!

I think you should take the bike (I use the term 'bike' loosely) into a proper Bike Shop and ask them to tell you how to fix it. I think there should have been a spanner supplied with the so-called bike that you could use to tighten whatever it is that has come loose. I doubt any threading has been damaged, just that the bottom bracket or crank arms weren't tightened up properly to begin with.

If you mean the Challenge Folding 26" Trekking Bike -
    Ideal for the recreational rider who wants that bit extra, this Challenge 26 inch folding trekking bike, is great for exploring the great outdoors. Durable and strong, with features such as a tough silver steel frame, 18 gears with Sunrun shifters and front suspension, this hard-wearing bike gives an easier, smoother ride.

You could take it back to Argos for a full refund claiming that it isn't actually as described in the catalogue!
    Specialized Rockhopper '07
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • omarm
    @steelo, thanks for the words of wisdom

i spent a loong time thinking about what bike ot get from decathlon
    i was going to spend £200 - £300 - i was thinking of getting the 5.2
    but... then i thought... i need to be able to transport!
    i've got a saloon car
    to get the roof rack and then the bike holder would cost me £300+
    i was gung ho... but at the back of my mind knew that i wasnt going to ride more than a handful of times!

yes... i got the challenge bike
    it's pretty good i'd say
    it was the lightest folding bike i could get - but it still weighs a ton (or feels like it)
    i can fit into my boot though - that's the main thing

i think i'll take to a bike shop as u suggest

• steelo
    I'd have suggested you get the Decathlon Rockrider and then take the wheels off to put it in the boot, it'll take up just as much room as that folding bike with the wheels left on! Plus it will be a much stronger frame for not being 'foldable'.
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • omarm
    taking wheels off: do both clip off?
    (assuming that rockrider bikes are all the same - which i;m sure they're not!)

if that were possible... i doubt the frame would fit into the boot though?

if it did... i'd be *happy* to go to argos and get a refund!
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    What kind of car do you drive?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm guessing the chainring has broken off - not fixable by the looks of it, and probably new crankset time.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    I have a 3 door hatchback and I can easily fit my bike in the back with the seats folded down.

What you purchased was a Bicycle Shaped Object (BSO)

Do a little bit of reading on the forum and then get yourself a real bike. It will fit in your car if you want it to.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Isn't this normally the other way round? Shouldn't you be buying a car based on what size bike you want to put in it, rather than making the bike fit or buying one to suit?

:-)
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I think you should take the bike back to Argos and explain the problem.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If this is the bike you bought I would take it back simply because you have been sold a pile of smelly brown stuff.

CHALLENGE%20FOLDING%20TREKKING%20BIKE%203321377.JPG
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • wilberforce
    wilberforce Posts: 294
    Oh my God, that is f*cking horrific!!
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    It's good that one size fits all though, no need to wade through all those 'what size bike do I need' threads!! :lol::lol:

Seriously - a new chainset is going to cost a hefty % of the price of the bike, by the time you've had it fitted (assuming that is what's needed) - would be inclined to take it back to Argos and demand a refund (politely). Then read this thread:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20005&t=12875967

and this thread:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40028&t=12620617

Which will give you a much better idea of what to get/save up for.

For years I got my bike around by just taking the front wheel off, then putting in the car with the back seat down. Easy.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • steelo
    I'm glad there is healthy support to my original response. Mountain Bike and Folding should NEVER be used in the same sentence let alone the same product. Except perhaps "I leant my Mountain Bike against the shed which at the time contained my folding garden chair".
    Trek Fuel EX8 '09
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Actually the Montague frame gets some pretty good reviews, but that has a rigid front triangle and a large foot print pivot contained in the seattube to make it much more rigid.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Gibbo3771
    Gibbo3771 Posts: 145
    What the fuck is that lol.

That looks terrible, it's not even pleasing to look at.

Imo, take it back and spend the money you were going to spend. Get the Rockrider from decalthon, it's a trialed and tested entry level basic bike that will most likely last until you realise you would benefit from a better bike.

You don't need to spend a ton to have fun, I started mountain biking on a stock Carerra Vengeance, now it has a proper fork, lighter wheels, better brakes and soon a wider bar. Soon as the frame gets done in, I am building from scratch with everything I have learnt using whatever parts survive the inevitable crash that will destroy the thing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Gibbo3771 wrote:
    I am building from scratch with everything I have learnt using whatever parts survive the inevitable crash that will destroy the thing.
    We have the technology, we can rebuild him.....

If you don't know where that's form google it and only then reply after your voice breaks!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    I had a poster of his hottie wife on my wall as a teenager.

This one

Farrah_Fawcett_iconic_pinup_1976.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    steelo wrote:
    I'm glad there is healthy support to my original response. Mountain Bike and Folding should NEVER be used in the same sentence let alone the same product. Except perhaps "I leant my Mountain Bike against the shed which at the time contained my folding garden chair".

As you know I would have said - I went to the mountain on my bike after folding my silk bed sheets.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • omarm
    thanks for the replies guys
    ok... yes, the pic given above is the bike :)

i took to a bike shop. the guy said the problem was on the wheel at the back + issue with the chain (i think the comment above maybe correct)

i'm going to take back
    the only thing is, i dont have the receipt!
    i'll have to get a print out from the credit card company

decathlon: they've changed their model numbers
    what's the equivalent to the rockrider 5.3?

i asked in the shop for getting bikes with quick release wheels
    they said the lowest priced ones where:

Raleigh Talus 2.0 £300
    Diamondback Overdrive Blue £350

Would either of those be better than the rock rider equivalents?
    I dont want to go over £300

Thanks

EDIT: i have a vw passat saloon
    getting a roof rack kit will cost about £300
    what i want is to be able to take 3 bikes - myself and my 2 boys (aged 5 and 9)
    not sure about the rear carriers - many of them have a limit of 30kg for saloon cars
  • cooldad
    In answer to your question, I doubt it.

And as for roof racks, I bought a cheapie off Ebay a few years ago, cost about £50 for bars and a couple of racks. Bit more of a hassle to put on than my current Thule, but held the bikes fine, including plenty of motorway trips to Wales.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • omarm
    update: i returned the bike to argos and got a refund
    i didn't have the receipt
    customer service were great
    they can trace every details of the purchase
    thanks for all the replies
    looking to get a decathlon bike most likely