HiLo Dropper Post

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited June 2014 in MTB general
Hi All

Would anyone know if you could carry a dropper seat post on a airplane, just wondering as the air in it, or don't they have the air in them from new? The in laws are off on holidays and they seem a lot cheaper over the pond.

Also would any one know the import duty on cycling goods from either Canada or the USA ?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You can just let the air out - it's pretty cheap to replace.

Duty and VAT tables on HMRC website.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm not sure I'd be overly worried about the 6psi increase in pressure it will see!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    cooldad wrote:
    You can just let the air out - it's pretty cheap to replace.

Duty and VAT tables on HMRC website.

Cheap? You're being ripped off mate, I get mine for free ;)

To the OP, if the in-laws buy you one over there just get them to remove it from the packaging and pop it in a suitcase and don't mention it. You're allowed deodorant and stuff which is in pressurised containers, so I doubt you'd need to let the air out of a dropper post. I wouldn't anyway...
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You can take bikes on planes with air shocks and dropper posts at working pressure so it should be ok as long as your inlaws don't have beards and look a bit "terroristy" then they should be fine to take it on a plane.