Specialized S-Works Enduro 29

BikeSwan
BikeSwan Posts: 260
edited July 2014 in Your mountain bikes
Hey All,

It’s been a while since I posted here . . . probably because I’ve been ripping it up on my Tallboy and haven’t needed another bike. That’s changed though. I’ve moved from Toronto, Ontario to Kelowna in beautiful British Columbia. I decided I needed a more “BC capable” bike. So here it is. A new Specialized S-Works Enduro 29.

14508276122_250824ae69_z.jpg

14509409655_c790c4b4a6_z.jpg

14486308136_7569aef124_z.jpg

14506014121_827b2af4e0_z.jpg

14322802609_809fbe3a44_z.jpg

14509408015_cd64a96870_z.jpg

14486304866_e1119ca466_z.jpg

14322801269_0bed37eab0_z.jpg

14529515333_5832c984ed_z.jpg

14506016541_16da2bcb7c_z.jpg

I had a lot of difficult criteria to meet when I decided I wanted an Enduro/AM rig. I’m 6’4” with long legs for my height, so I needed a truly enormous frame. The size, coupled with my (borderline irrational) desire for a long travel 29er narrowed it down to just a few bikes. I ended up with a short list of: BMC TF01 Trailfox, Specialized S-Works Enduro 29, Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc, Intense Carbine 29, and a Niner WFO 9. The BMC and the Intense were disqualified as soon as I found out their largest size was a Large (too small). I also decided the Tallboy LTc wasn’t different enough from my normal Tallboy to warrant the purchase. I then made a call to my local Specialized dealer and asked about the availability of an S-Works Enduro 29 frame. As it turns out, they had already sold all the Canadian allotted frames, so I was (apparently) SOL for the Specialized.

This finally left the Niner. I went down to the Niner dealer here in Kelowna and set about spec’ing it up. Unfortunately Niner had screwed up a bit with their reservations, and ended up selling 3 times as many WFO’s as they actually had; and they also underestimated how long it would take to make the frames :evil:. After several deadlines that came and went, I decided to cancel my order for the Niner and see if I could source an E29 at a different shop. After an unsuccessful attempt to source a frame (and subsequent custom build), I decided an S-Works Enduro 29 complete bike was the answer.

The OEM spec of the bike was pretty much bulletproof, save for the bars (which were a crappy alloy own brand affair). The only components I changed were the handlebar, stem, and tires. The non-OEM components are underlined.

Component List

Chassis & Wheels:

Frame: Specialized S-Works Enduro 29 (XL – Gloss/Satin & Carbon/White)
Fork: Rock Shox Pike RCT3 29 (Solo Air - Black)
Shock: Cane Creek Double Barrel Air w/ Climb Adjust
Wheels: Specialized Roval Traverse SL 29 (15QR - 142+)
Front Tire: Schwalbe Hans Dampf Evolution (Snakeskin - 29x2.35”)
Rear Tire: Continental Mountain King II (ProTection 29er - 29x2.2”)

Drivetrain & Brakes:

Crankset: SRAM XX1 (175mm - 32T)
Cassette: SRAM XG-1199
Chain: SRAM PC-XX1
Rear Derailleur: SRAM XX1 X-Horizon
Shifter: SRAM XX1 Trigger Shifter
Brakes: Avid XO Trail
Rotors: Avid G2 (200mm & 180mm)

Finishing Kit:

Handlebar: Race Face Next 35 (760mm – 10mm Rise)
Stem: Race Face Atlas 35 (65mm – 0 Degree)
Seatpost: Specialized Command Post Blacklite (30.9mm – 125mm Drop)
Saddle: Specialized Henge Expert (Ti Rails – 143mm)
Grips: Specialized SIP Locking Grip (Black)
Pedals: HT Components EVO ME03T (Black)

Weight: 28.38 lbs (12.87 kg)

I’ll report back with a ride report as soon as I get some decent mileage on it :D.

Comments

• felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Very, very nice. I do love the Enduro...enjoy!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • AshW92
    AshW92 Posts: 67
    Looks mint mate, very nice bike! Not usually a massive fan of 29ers but that one just works! Also, totally jealous of you living in Kelowna, or Canada full stop for that matter
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    AshW92 wrote:
    Looks mint mate, very nice bike! Not usually a massive fan of 29ers but that one just works! Also, totally jealous of you living in Kelowna, or Canada full stop for that matter

+1!!
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    AshW92 wrote:

+1!!
    +2!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    Lovely bike, one I'd definitely like to have a ride on!

It will be interesting to see how you get on with it, sounds like I'm similar proportions to you and I've been wanting to try a 29er for a while
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Devastazione
    Devastazione Posts: 280
    Ah man,beautiful bike. My Stumpy FSR 29 cover most of my needs but a month ago I came out with the excuse that I needed something more capable and called my LBS looking for one. Thank god all 2014 Sworks and Expert were sold out otherwise I would have caused some damage back home :lol: . Look forward to 2015's model :D .

Next stop : do like I did and get rid of those Avids. Place some XTR Trails,they will make a night and day difference.

Enjoy that beast,must be a joy to point it down...
    Specialized Tarmac Sworks
    Canyon Spectral 8.9
  • BikeSwan
    Ah man,beautiful bike. My Stumpy FSR 29 cover most of my needs but a month ago I came out with the excuse that I needed something more capable and called my LBS looking for one. Thank god all 2014 Sworks and Expert were sold out otherwise I would have caused some damage back home :lol: . Look forward to 2015's model :D .

Next stop : do like I did and get rid of those Avids. Place some XTR Trails,they will make a night and day difference.

Enjoy that beast,must be a joy to point it down...

The Stumpjumper's a great bike. It was too close to my Tallboy to make it an option, so i'm glad Spec have a 29er Enduro. I'm thinking about changing the brakes for a pair of Hope Stealth Race EVO E4's. They'll add a british touch to an otherwise very American build.
  • BikeSwan
    AshW92 wrote:

Last year I had the opportunity to pretty much pick anywhere in Canada I wanted to live for the next 5 years. I've been here 10 months now, and I don't think I could have made a better choice.
  • Durango
    Durango Posts: 1
    Hi ,

Great bike, and not many out there in XL. I ride a Stumpy S-Works FSR xl and love it . IF your looking to sell after the end of the season or before let my know. Thanks Robert