Shimano XT M785 Reservoir

mastermosher
mastermosher Posts: 233
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,
Just after some help sourcing parts. Came out from work today to find someone had nicked my stem cap and also my reservoir cap from my M785 brake lever.
Is there anywhere I can buy these components or do I need to buy a new brake lever. I have tried CRC and Wiggle but with no luck.
Any help would be much appreciated.
MM
I don't mind what they say... as long as they say its enormous

Comments

• mastermosher
    The stem cap is not a problem, it is the reservoir cap and bolts.
    MM
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Shimano do the cap and bolts as a spares set, get the part number from the Shimano techdocs website and google it, JE are quite good for that sort of thing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    SJScycles is also a good place to try for Shimano spares

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/page/find/?name=shimano%20spares&page=1
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • mastermosher
    Hi Fellas and thanks for the reply.
    Managed to get a couple from SJS Cycles after speaking to them.
    Again thanks
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Nice one they are very helpful guys at SJS.

It would be nice if Shimano sold a widely available little kit of the things that are most likely to go missing or break for each of the groups like clips, O rings, small bolts for example. I know you can get spares if you know the part number but they arent the easiest to track down. I would buy one just to put in the spares box.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • The Rookie
    I now expect to see some brakes upgraded from Deore with XT covers!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    stubs wrote:
    I know you can get spares if you know the part number but they arent the easiest to track down.

All you need is the part number of the component, this will be on it somewhere, and google. So for your lever you would look on the bottom of it and see BL-M785. So stick that into google followed by EV for exploded view. This will bring up a PDF with all the individual parts numbered.

I used to do this all the time to find part numbers for customers.
  • The Rookie
    Or just go to the Shimano techdocs website and pull up the parts breakdown for the item as I suggested in the second reply!
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    That way works most of the time but can let you down. For example there are no links to Ultegra 6800 chainset diagrams on techdocs yet. However if you google FC-6800 EV the first link takes you to the PDF diagram.

Also if you have older components they may have been removed from techdocs but remain archived on other websites. I find the German distributor Paul Lange tend to keep diagrams live longer than Shimano.

It's just a different way to skin a cat.