Weird Creeking coming from Rear Suspension

jackk1992
jackk1992 Posts: 141
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, dont normally like posting in this section, as that means i have an issue :(

Went for a little ride on my Mondraker Foxy XR MS 2013 today in the local woods to give it a ride, as I hadnt used it in like a week and a half (I felt guilty), and I noticed an odd creeking noice coming from the rear suspension linkage (i suspect). It doesnt creek when you are freewheeling down a trail or anything just when you are cycling uphill and doing abit of an "aggressive pedal". Its abit disturbing to ride with as it sounds like it may just be destroying but I can't seem to find where it is coming from.

Anyone had this before with the same bike or a similar bike?
2013 Mondraker Foxy XR MS Mountain Bike
Giant TCR-1 Custom Road Bike
2013 Merida Big Nine TFS 500
2015 Merida Ride 4000

"Because limits, like fears, are often just an illusion"

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Check it is all tight
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Often in this weather just dry and dusty.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    As above check it's all tight, my Anthem starting creaking and it was just the rear skewer that needed to be tightened a little bit.
  • jackk1992
    I thought that just as I woke up this morning, I do jet wash it when finishing riding it most times, it has probably dried all the linkages out. What do you guys use to keep them lubricated? I just use lubricating spray on everything really around the house but don't particularly want to use the wrong stuff on my bike.
    2015 Merida Ride 4000

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    jackk1992 wrote:
    I do jet wash it when finishing riding it most times.
    Yep, blasting all the grease out the bushed pivots and bearings will end up making the bike creek, I'd suggest a full rear end strip and rebuild so you can correct all the damage, even if it is just regreasing you could have failed cartridge bearings etc as well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jackk1992
    Ill give all the linkages a good inspection and spray tonight and see how it goes i think. Dont particularly fancy stripping all thenrear linkage just yet as the bike is only about 4 months old and its abit complicated.
    2015 Merida Ride 4000

• cooldad
    What are you spraying it with?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • jackk1992
    Just some lubricant spray thats in the garage haha.
    2015 Merida Ride 4000

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Which is more or less useless. Probably worse than doing nothing.
  • cooldad
    jackk1992 wrote:
    Just some lubricant spray thats in the garage haha.
    Which would be?

Hint - there maybe something written on the tin.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    ps if by lubricant you mean WD40 or similar, don't. It isn't.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    Yup, the WD40/GT95 (or similar) IF it gets into the joint at all will only dilute the grease that survived the jet washing.

Sorry, but this has to be done properly or you may as well sell the bike before you do permanent damage....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jackk1992
    I'm not by the tin at the moment so i cant remember what its called exactly. 3in1 lubricant with PTFE rings a bell.
    2015 Merida Ride 4000

• jackk1992
    The Rookie wrote:
    Sorry, but this has to be done properly or you may as well sell the bike before you do permanent damage....

Probably abit of an over exaggeration
    2015 Merida Ride 4000

• *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    If its creaking only when you are on the pedals id be looking elsewhere. All the pivots still move when you are freewheeling.

As somebody else said, check the rear wheel is fitted correctly and tightened properly, also check the cranks, bottom bracket and pedals.

Creaks are hard to locate as the noise can sound like its coming from somewhere it isn't. Use your brain and think about what things are moving when you hear the creaking and what stops the noise etc.
  • The Rookie
    jackk1992 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Probably a bit of an over exaggeration
    Actually not, if bushes are dry or bearings starting to seize then wear of expensive components (like the frame or rear triangle parts) can occur such that they need to be replaced.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Sounds like it could be cranks / bottom bracket if only happening when peddling hard.

Just strip the bike down and rebuild it with proper grease. Sounds like it needs it anyway.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had a very similar creak in my downhill bike last week. After striping, cleaning and lubing the rear suspension linkages I realised it was just a loose chain ring bolt.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    jackk1992 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Probably abit of an over exaggeration

Ha

As someone said I would check the pedals as well. If you have another set it's well worth swapping them over to check
  • jackk1992
    Gave everything a good spray then and it seems to have stopped. Giving it a better look over at the weekend. Cheers for your assistance
    2015 Merida Ride 4000