Flyxii FR-322 (aka chinese carbon bike build)

daviddk0
daviddk0 Posts: 10
edited October 2014 in Your road bikes
Wanted to share my Chinese carbon bike build here. It's a 58cm FR-322 frame, built by Flyxii. I ordered it in a glossy finish, hoping it would have a nice carbon finish (weave), but it didn't really have any sort of structure. So I decided to spray paint it in a metallic car color, more specific in Honda's Lausanne Green Pearl (G71P).

Once painted, I installed my Shimano Ultegra group, some other bits, Fulcrum Racing Quattro wheels, and hit the road. Done 250km on it this first week, and am very happy with it. If it wasn't for the hefty anti-dumping fee I had to pay to release it from customs, I'd be happier. But overall, build quality of the frame looks excellent, and with it's metallic finish it really stands out.

10462134_10154309574410517_894368499855368415_o.jpg

10357758_10154309589825517_5535847338092998548_o.jpg

10359108_10154309574300517_3083858400479578023_o.jpg

10506853_10154309574325517_8574634783803599714_o.jpg

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    nice job!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • ledeev
    ledeev Posts: 208
    Yes, that is a nice job.

I expect the internal cables were a bit fiddly?
  • djhermer
    djhermer Posts: 328
    Great job. Tan walls and metallic green is a lovely combo.
  • bobinski
    bobinski Posts: 570
    Did you spray it yourself? Looks great.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Beautiful paint job.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • daviddk0
    daviddk0 Posts: 10
    Yes, sprayed it myself. With a compressor and a paint spray gun from Lidl (cheap euro supermarket :mrgreen:).

About the cables; The frame came fitted with handy cable guides, but I had to remove them for painting. Was a bit worried that I might have a lot of difficulty installing the cables afterwards. But with the small frame/cable housing thingies removed this wasn't a problem at all.

In other news, I have possibly ruined the carbon seat post tube. This is my first carbon bike and was really worried about over tightening stuff. I torqued the seat post clamp to about 5 Nm and smeared lot's of carbon paste on the seat post and inside the frame. Sadly though, after a first ride the seat post crept down into the frame and made a very deep scratch tearing into some layers of carbon cloth.

I retried and gave it some more torque (10-12 Nm), and it's still creeping down. Maybe the damage from earlier has weakened the seat post so that it slightly compresses/isn't perfectly round anymore, which will always cause it to creep down?

Anyway, still on the wishlist, a nice set of carbon clinchers, maybe Fulcrum Red Wind XLR. And a new seatpost and saddle and, this one gets very uncomfortable on longer rides.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    10-12 Nm is a lot of torque for a carbon seatpost. Try backing it off to about 7 Nm and turn the clamp around 180 degrees , and/or purchase a different clamp (I would imagine the carbon one is quite stiff).

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Really nice bike, great paint job!
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • Hi,

I'm thinking of getting one of these frames for a Winter bike. what is the clearance like for Mudguards? Looking using either Crud Catcher Mk2 or SKS Raceblades.

Thanks
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Lovely paintwork, did you have to do any sanding/prepping? Or did you just clean it and spray on?
    espo100583 wrote:
    Hi,

I'm thinking of getting one of these frames for a Winter bike. what is the clearance like for Mudguards? Looking using either Crud Catcher Mk2 or SKS Raceblades.

Thanks

Don't! Get a frame and fork with mudguard eyelets, the cruds and raceblades are ok if you've no other option, but they can be a pain in the rear regardless.

I trained last winter on my Raleigh with raceblades, they're a pain to put on, pain when you get punctures and not as much coverage as normal 'guards.I've a Trek 1.2 now with proper 'guards and it's heavenly :D
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2