Tubular tyres not holding pressure

woody1545
woody1545 Posts: 322
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Hi,

Im new to tubulars. Is losing pressure quickly compared to tubes normal? i.e I've just fitted them and they need inflating almost daily!?

Thanks

Comments

• JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Most tubs have latex tubes so they will deflate quicker than you're used to if using butyl tubes in clinchers, so yes normal. If it's an issue you can get tubs with butyl tubes, I think a lot of triathlon tyres have them as they're expected to be racked up overnight at events so need to retain pressure...
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Yes. I pump up my tubs before every ride. I usually ride on 8.5 bar but next day it will be down to 6.

If you have extenders on, you need to make the seal between the core and the extender air tight. Get some of the white teflon plumbing tape you put on pipe threads and place it on the threads before tightening.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    No problem with my Conti Sprinters or Tufo S3s losing pressure - maybe pump up every couple of weeks but generally sit around the mark I leave them at.

Make sure you use plumbers tape when you join the extender to the valve, make sure the core is fitted properly and make sure all connections core/extender/tub are tight as.

Absolutely no reason to pump up daily unless you have a puncture.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909

Some are better than others. Vittoria Corsa go down pretty quickly. I have used them for years and all have been the same so its not necessarily a puncture problem. I know Tufo are very good tyres and if they hold pressure well may be worth a shot
  • woody1545
    Thanks for the advice.

I have Corsa CX.

Looks like the problem might be my school boy error of tighting my valve extensions by hand! I'll break out the PTFE Tape and do it properly.

Thanks again!
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    No, corsa have a latex tube inside which will not hold pressure no matter how much PTFE tape you use.

The tufos mentioned use butyl tubes so will hold pressure for longer but the corsa is a much nicer ride ;)
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    No problem with my Conti Sprinters or Tufo S3s losing pressure - maybe pump up every couple of weeks but generally sit around the mark I leave them at.

Make sure you use plumbers tape when you join the extender to the valve, make sure the core is fitted properly and make sure all connections core/extender/tub are tight as.

This is because the two you use don't have latex inners.

[Edit - didn't see the above post! :lol: ]
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    JackPozzi wrote:
    No, corsa have a latex tube inside which will not hold pressure no matter how much PTFE tape you use.

The tufos mentioned use butyl tubes so will hold pressure for longer but the corsa is a much nicer ride ;)

Yip - Corsas will loses pressure over 24hrs. It's no biggie - just a few pushes on a track pump before you leave the house. Well worth it for a nice ride on a quality tub.
  • woody1545
    Thanks, good to hear that this isn't unusual. I was worried I'd somehow managed to glue two brand new tyres with slow punctures to my rim!