Rotor rubs on caliper mount adapter

ndp268
ndp268 Posts: 11
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all just changed wheels and put new rear wheel back in to discover rotor rubs on bridge I measured the hub and freehub agains the old and the new one places the rotor 5 mm wider then the old any one have an idea much appreciated

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    What do you mean by bridge?

From what you say a simple re setting of the caliper would fix it.

But 5mm if way out of spec if it is as you say along the axel.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ndp268
    Yeah doesn't seem to make sense sorry I meant mount adapter it's way off wheel fits up nicely with adapter of had a look to see if they do a adapter which is offset do you know of one
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Picture might help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    Possibly cones of new axle are further along thread? With cone spanners and patience this can be fixed.

Edit: after looking at my rear mech this is b0llox. Ignore what I said :)

Possibly thinner locknuts on rear disk side cone? Compare with old wheel. Check if shims or washers fitted. Had this issue with cheap replacement axle on wife's bike once.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is the new wheel 142 and the old 135mm?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ndp268
    I would say that the fact that the new wheel seems to be approximately 5mm to wide I would say your spot on rookie is there an ap for that or is the wheel no good
  • cooldad
    An ap? Is it a virtual bike.
    If the axle fits in the dropouts it's unlikely tp be 7mm too wide.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    Picture might help.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ndp268 wrote:
    I would say that the fact that the new wheel seems to be approximately 5mm to wide I would say your spot on rookie is there an ap for that or is the wheel no good
    So rear wheel?

So as to the rest of your questions?

What wheel? What hub? What bike? Make model and year?

And yes no and maybe. I talk depends on your answers to the above.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ndp268
    Yeah sorry cool dad I meant adapter I've tried to upload some photos of ipad but it's having issues the bike is a trek fuel 2008 it is the rear wheel the original hub was a mavic crossride and the replacement is a shimano fh m475 and the axle fits into the drop outs snugly
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    OK, not a 142.

I've had both on the rear of mine with no isse, could be the rear has been rebuilt with 2 locknuts one side and none the other perhaps....photo's are a must, use an external host like photobucket, tinypix or flickr....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.