Ribble 7005 Sportive

DanDax1990
DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
edited July 2014 in Your road bikes
So today I finally received my first road bike... After a 2 month wait!

Only had a quick spin so far but I love it. I'll get some better quality pics soon.

jtwftk.jpg

Comments

• velogee
    velogee Posts: 133
    Looks a very nice build for a first bike. Always worth going aluminum for bang to buck. Hope you enjoy riding in this glorious sunshine.
    Madone 4.9 2014
    Jeffsy 27.5 2018
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Looks tops, I was considering getting one of these frames and building it up with 'value' parts to use in circuit races. In the end I just took the mudguards off my ribble winter/audax!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    Very nice indeed.

I would say that as I have one though lol
    20131123_100332_zps4f278c1c.jpg
  • DanDax1990
    Just done my first ride after work, around 20 miles so nothing major. It's my first time on a road bike so getting used to the feel but so far I love it.

Going to change the bar tape, mainly due to Ribbles cable routing which is very poor.

sf9i8l.jpg

2h7fexi.jpg
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    Going to change the bar tape, mainly due to Ribbles cable routing which is very poor.

I'm surprised at that. I was happy enough with Ribbles cable routing on my Gran Fondo - I've just replaced the tape at 21000 miles but I still left the tape on the tops for a double wrap so the cable routing will last another 20000 miles at least!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ledeev
    ledeev Posts: 208
    I'm surprised at that. I was happy enough with Ribbles cable routing on my Gran Fondo - I've just replaced the tape at 21000 miles but I still left the tape on the tops for a double wrap so the cable routing will last another 20000 miles at least!

Wow. 21,000 miles out of a set of bar tape? Were they made from the same stuff that they made Robocop out of?
  • DanDax1990
    They haven't routed the cables on the underside of the bars where the notch for the routing is, instead they're routed on the topside, one cable to the front/face of the bars and the other to the rear. So annoying.

Also, I wanted some gel pads to see how it feels with some more cushioning also to make the bars a bit chunkier, I'm used to chunky mountain bike grips.
  • DanDax1990
    Rolf F wrote:
    DanDax1990 wrote:

I'm already planning on a Gran Fondo next year when I can get another bike :D
  • DanDax1990
    11qr6ut.jpg

Here's both the bikes together, apart from giving it a bit of a service today I haven't touched the mountain bike since I got the road bike.
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    Thats very nice.

I have a 7005 in Sora as a mess bike. The 7005 is a nice frame - comfy and transfers power well. Trouble is I find the front end twitchy and the clearance between the seat tube and rear wheel is tiny- even with 23C tyres.
  • DanDax1990
    Yeah when I was waiting for the bike to be built I enquired about 25mm tyres instead and they said there isn't enough clearance which I thought was a bit iffy. I'll have a proper look soon.

The plan so far is to keep this for a year then to sell it on and whatever I get for it to put towards a carbon framed bike, possibly a Gran Fondo or Planet X, through the Cycle Scheme. We'll see what happens!
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    Regards clearance, I couldn't fit 23mm Conti Grandprixs on the back, and a 25mm Vittoria Rubino pro wont fit either.

The frame isnt really that sportive orientated IMO, and I sort of wish I had bought something different to allow a bit more flexibility in tyre choice.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DanDax1990 wrote:
    They haven't routed the cables on the underside of the bars where the notch for the routing is, instead they're routed on the topside, one cable to the front/face of the bars and the other to the rear. So annoying.

Also, I wanted some gel pads to see how it feels with some more cushioning also to make the bars a bit chunkier, I'm used to chunky mountain bike grips.

That is a bit irritating - but that said, not all bars have a notch underneath so the Ribble routing has to be that way for those and it works well.

But, on the other hand, it isn't hard to unwrap as far as the hoods and re route the cable - you don't need to take the tape off altogether for that. And that gives you the opportunity to add some padding before you re-wrap the original tape (in theory you'll need to reduce the overlap to compensate for the greater radius of the bars but because you'll also be reducing the diameter of the bars by using the cable recess it probably won't be a problem!).
    Ledeev wrote:

Wow. 21,000 miles out of a set of bar tape? Were they made from the same stuff that they made Robocop out of?

Ordinary ITM cork tape! Just black and I'm careful when leaning the bike against things! It was a bit thin at the end but it still looked fine.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • DanDax1990
    The bars did have the notch there for the cables.

I also didn't like the smooth tape, I've put some cork tape on and feels much nicer.

I'm happy with the bike, it's my first road bike so nothing to compare it against but I know as far as it being my first bike I know it's more than enough.
  • sark716
    sark716 Posts: 45
    I saw someone riding a bike like this in Armley, Leeds this lunchtime. Looked a nice bike
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,182
    Ledeev wrote:

My leather tape is 5 years old... pretty sure it's done well more than 20,000... just like new, really...
    left the forum March 2023