MTB Training at home

jimothy78
jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
edited June 2014 in Health, fitness & training
ok folks,
for the second year running I'm entering Bristol bikefest as part of a 4-man team.

Don't want to be the slowest of the four, but simply can't get out and ride that much due to family commitments, however I regularly have time when I can't leave the house, but could be doing some form of exercise.
Wondering if there's much I can do at home to improve my fitness and speed (especially for climbing).

I know a lot of cyclists use rollers or turbo trainers. Is there any reason these are much better than traditional exercise bikes (I may be able to borrow one of the latter for a few weeks) or it is simply a case of taking up less storage room?

Are there any other (non-cycling) exercises I can easily do at home, with no additional equipment, to get faster?

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Exercise bikes are designed for non-cyclists, the position is horrible, they're woefully uncomfortable and the resistance is often pretty pathetic.

Turbos/rollers use your own bike (obviously), so the position exactly replicates the 'real world', and thus utilises all the same muscles.

No real substitute for riding your bike, plenty of programmes online for decent interval sessions you can cram into an hour or so, don't just sit and pedal. Bristol Bike Fest isn't hugely hilly, I'd be looking at 5 minute intervals at most.
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    No real substitute for riding your bike, plenty of programmes online for decent interval sessions you can cram into an hour or so, don't just sit and pedal. Bristol Bike Fest isn't hugely hilly, I'd be looking at 5 minute intervals at most.

Yeah, I appreciate this, but what I'm thinking is that there are often times in the evening when I'm sat at home with my little girl in bed. I can either sit and watch telly or I can try to do something positive.
    njee20 wrote:
    Exercise bikes are designed for non-cyclists, the position is horrible, they're woefully uncomfortable and the resistance is often pretty pathetic. Turbos/rollers use your own bike (obviously), so the position exactly replicates the 'real world', and thus utilises all the same muscles.

But given that I can't borrow and won't buy a trainer, do you think that borrowing an exercise bike would actually be detrimental, or is it still better than anything else I can realistically be doing at home?
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    I can't see how it would be detrimental, even if it doesn't improve your legs or your core if you improve your fitness overall it's a plus.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    It can be tough with family commitments but I just get up an hour earlier on the days I want to train and hit the roads / trails as needed. This works fine for me during the week and at weekends if I need to. If you are tied to the house then some sort of exercise bike or turbo trainer is the best you can do with a few stretching exercises to warm up and warm down.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    A turbo trainer / rollers will certainly do no harm

Just don't underestimate just how mind-numbingly boring it is
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Because I have a family I try and get up early and be out by 6am for an hour or 2 and get back for breakfast. Rollers if the weather is really bad or I have to be at home plus a few odd exercises here and there. Summer time is great for late night riding before dark.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Exercise bike is better than sitting around.
  • Toyman
    Toyman Posts: 12
    Google for James Wilson Kettlebell clinic