Can your legs get stronger without getting bigger?

cmhill79
cmhill79 Posts: 138
edited June 2014 in Road general
It's probably a stupid questions and yes I have prepared myself to be abused by the trolls but in all seriousness is it actually possible depending on the training methods? Reason I ask is I see guys with smaller legs who power along and then see these guys with huge thighs but appear to lack power...

Comments

• NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    Yes
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited June 2014
    If you're talking about cycling, then stronger legs do not necessarily make you a better cyclist. This will go to 10 pages, I reckon....
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    It's all about power to weight ratios.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Most famously Wiggo lost a load of muscle bulk when moving from track to road .

This is going to run into debate about the meaning of 'stronger'.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Most famously Wiggo lost a load of muscle bulk when moving from track to road

That's expected as there are no hills to overcome on a track
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Slow twitch vs Fast Twitch muscles and the balance between them. Look at a 100m runner vs a 10,000m runner, they both run.
  • AdrianStuart
    AdrianStuart Posts: 140
    Strength - the extent to which muscles can exert force by contracting against resistance (e.g. holding or restraining an object or person)

If you are weak and have never done any real strength training, you will see some adaptations pretty quickly. The gains in size you’ll experience will not be linear. They do not continue forever.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Why wouldnt you want super huge thighs?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    Depends on what you call strength. Climbing?, Sprinting?, Long Distance ?

if you want to go endurance then you usually end up twig thin as you loose mass.
  • Squats & lunges
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    mfin wrote:
    Slow twitch vs Fast Twitch muscles and the balance between them. Look at a 100m runner vs a 10,000m runner, they both run.
  • Devastazione
    Devastazione Posts: 280
    Genetics plays a major role I guess.

Piled up some sh.itt.y huge legs this winter. It's all hills and mountains here and rode 4/5 times a week each week from september 2013 till may 2014, I yet have to find if that turned out to add some benefits to my performances beside adding unwanted weight,I'll check that in september when I'll start riding again. You really don't want big legs,no good man,no good.
    Ok sure,I've once rested for a week and felt like I had two nuclear plants in my legs,still my greyhound lookalike friends managed to beat the heck out of me on the uphills... :evil: :evil:
    Specialized Tarmac Sworks
    Canyon Spectral 8.9
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Well my dad's stronger than your dad
  • aberdeenal
    aberdeenal Posts: 200
    goonz wrote:

Erm - it's a nightmare to get jeans / trousers to fit :)
  • gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Well my dad's stronger than your dad
    yeah and in the words of Franky Boyle " aye,but my dad will shag your dad,and your dad will like it" :lol::lol::lol:
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    AberdeenAl wrote:
    goonz wrote:

Too right! bleeding nightmare to get the right fit. correct waist size and the trollies wont go over my thighs :(

larger waist size to go over my thighs and it feels like I have 3-4 inches of material to hide via a belt and it looks stupid.
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    MacLeod113 wrote:
    AberdeenAl wrote:
    goonz wrote:

Too right! bleeding nightmare to get the right fit. correct waist size and the trollies wont go over my thighs :(

larger waist size to go over my thighs and it feels like I have 3-4 inches of material to hide via a belt and it looks stupid.

I can ONLY buy jeans from GAP as they are loose round the legs...30 inch waist but would need a 34" jeans from a normal place to fit round the legs :(

Plus nothing wrong with having big legs ... they are awesome...
  • DavidJB wrote:
    I can ONLY buy jeans from GAP as they are loose round the legs...30 inch waist but would need a 34" jeans from a normal place to fit round the legs :(

Try Gant Jeans.
    For a long time I only wore Gap jeans for the same reason but Gant seem to be better cut plus they last a lot longer.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB wrote:

Try Gant Jeans.
    For a long time I only wore Gap jeans for the same reason but Gant seem to be better cut plus they last a lot longer.

Ah nice one I'll check it out :)
  • jscl
    jscl Posts: 1,015
    goonz wrote:
    This.

Lots of track and gym has bulked my legs up with muscle mass. I like them, I'm not gonna lie. I have no issues on the road and then power out a good sprint. It's win win.

Big legs for the win!
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • goonz
    DavidJB wrote:
    MacLeod113 wrote:
    AberdeenAl wrote:
    goonz wrote:

Plus nothing wrong with having big legs ... they are awesome...

Wear shorts. I wouldnt want to hide my guns! :P
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    Try carrot fit jeans, for those of you who have large thighs, or get a pair that fit and then have the waist band taken in, this is the best way to get your jeans to fit.

Regards having large legs, it's more about power to weight rather than size, very large legs will add a lot of weight and therefor be a hindrance to general cycling.

One of the best cyclists iv ridden with was a woman who carried very little size on her legs but she could climb, sprint and spin, she had the complete package
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • goonz
    greipel-and-forste_2294083b.jpg

Andre Greipel vs German track Rider Forste.

Insane and sick.
  • DavidJB
    Joeblack wrote:
    Try carrot fit jeans, for those of you who have large thighs, or get a pair that fit and then have the waist band taken in, this is the best way to get your jeans to fit.

Regards having large legs, it's more about power to weight rather than size, very large legs will add a lot of weight and therefor be a hindrance to general cycling.

One of the best cyclists iv ridden with was a woman who carried very little size on her legs but she could climb, sprint and spin, she had the complete package

Not really true. I'm 69kg with 'big thighs' and I climb pretty well, got a decent 'engine' and I'm not a very good sprinter! You can't determine anything just by body type.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Why is it sick?

Just two ridiculously talented, fit and we hope, clean athletes at the top of their sport.

No one looks at over muscled 100m sprinters and calls them sick.

Now - anyone have a copy of that piccie of Greipal and the podium girl where his thighs are bigger than her waist that was doing the rounds last year?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • goonz
    Im talking more of the guy on the right.

Greipel's are fine.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    But why is it "sick"?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • goonz
    Ok, legs that huge dont look good to me?
  • DavidJB
    But why is it "sick"?

Calm down dear.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Forstermann's thighs do make me feel a little queasy. I find all of those extreme bodybuilding types to be a bit freak-show.