New Mechanical CX Disc Brakes Upgrade...HELP!!!

AORboyo
AORboyo Posts: 53
edited June 2014 in Cyclocross
Howdy Folks,

I'm currently running bog standard PROMAX Render R mechanical disc brakes on my Cannondale CX, they've served a purpose but want to upgrade to a far better superior set-up....I only use this bike on roads for cummuting / winter road training.....What do peeps recommend please???.....Personally heard great things regarding TRP, what are your thoughts / recommendations on all options???

Thanx!!!

Comments

• Jezwick
    Jezwick Posts: 8
    Personally I'd wait till next years stuff comes out and pick up one of the new range of shimano hydros, the 105s for instance ..

Perhaps SRAM may be back in the game too and worth a look at ..
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    I have used mechanicals for 5 years, but this is the first time I have taken them to the alps... they are pretty good, even coming down steep windy roads at 10-15%, when I use the brakes a lot... no sign of pads fading or overheating and don't feel the need for hydraulics that would only add to the list of my worries.
    I have used BB7 and now I am on Hayes CX Expert (CX5) and they are both excellent. Even more so for cyclocross, where you don't need good brakes, no point in spending a fortune for the hydraulics
    left the forum March 2023
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    Can vouch for the TRP Spyres - easy to set up, very good braking, small, light. They make BB7s look and feel a bit agricultural. BB7s are a decent brake, but the Spyres are a cut above.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Another vote for Spyres, way better than the BB7s I replaced them with (and very light too). I ultimately went with hydraulics because I got fed up with replacing cables, but that was on a bike that was getting pressure-washed several times a week. I don't think the performance of my hydraulics is any better than the Spyres.

Beware: The Spyres come with organic pads that can wear down very quickly in some conditions (about half a race in my case). Replace with sintered pads from somewhere like Superstar or Discobrakes, and they'll last for ages.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • If you're changing ABSOLUTELY put on TRP HY/RDs. they auto adjust; they're more powerful if you're racing then BB7s/spyres just don't cut it- muddy and wet=pad wear and the mechanical system pads don't adjust in so you very quickly end up with no brakes- which will make you faster until you need to stop.

would replace the standard pads on the hy/rds through they are awful.
  • I've used BB7's and Hayes CX5's (now Experts). The Hayes are superb, I used them all winter for commuting and also for cx riding and riding on MTB trails. When setup properly (which is easy todo) they are fantastic & I'm used to Shimano's M785 XT hydro setup.

I can't rate them highly enough
  • AORboyo
    AORboyo Posts: 53
    Thanks for all tour input gents, very much appreciated.

Is there a BIG difference between the 'TRP' Spyre & Spyre SLC models please???
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    AORboyo wrote:
    Is there a BIG difference between the 'TRP' Spyre & Spyre SLC models please???

I've got the standard Spyres on my touring bike and SLCs on my cross bike and I would say the difference is bugger all. I think the only difference is supposed to be in weight but it'll never be so much you'd notice.

Rob
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    Spyres or if you can afford the extra hy/rd, the feel and the auto adjustment on the hy/rd is well worth the extra. Not saying you need hydraulic power, but the feel and adjustment on the hybrid mechanical/hydraulic hy/rd is great.
  • If you're changing ABSOLUTELY put on TRP HY/RDs. they auto adjust; they're more powerful if you're racing then BB7s/spyres just don't cut it- muddy and wet=pad wear and the mechanical system pads don't adjust in so you very quickly end up with no brakes- which will make you faster until you need to stop.

would replace the standard pads on the hy/rds through they are awful.

viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12973481 - not universally regarded.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    Just some thoughts seeing as I've just set up my bike with Shimano BR517 calipers. These are identical to the CX-77 caliper apart from a plainer silver finish as far as I can see. First attempt was to set up with some 105 5600 levers but it proved really difficult to get a good lever feel and pad clearance so I swapped them for some newer 5700 series. These have a larger cable pull and this made a really big difference in feel and function so it's important to try and match caliper and lever if possible.

First impressions are they are good, much better than the cantilevers on my last bike and similar to a good rim caliper in the dry but hopefully better than both in the wet.

A note on the issue of wearing through a set of pads in bad conditions - this means you are using the wrong pads. If its really gritty and wet then a sintered pad will last much better although with a reduction in braking. Horses for courses...