9 speed hub to a single speed

Tomc273
Tomc273 Posts: 29
edited June 2014 in Workshop
Hi all

I have a 9 speed rear wheel hub but I want to change it to a single speed hub. Do I just use spacers then attach the right sprocket? Or is it worth just buying a flip flop hub and then I have the option of a fixie as well.

Any other solutions most welcome!

Cheers

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Yes and shorten chain to whatever you need obviously using spacers to sort out chain run.

Take off one of the big rings as well as you won't need it, either splurge out and buy single speed chainring bolts or do what I did and pop a washer on the inside of the existing chainring to space out.

Get a new hub if you want but this is a faff as you have to rebuild the whole wheel so I'd get a whole new wheel (probably work out the same in cost once you have the hub, spokes, found a hub to match the rim, got some more nipples etc etc and paid the man).

Then collect all the old bits together and set fire to them.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Easiest is to buy a spacer kit and sprocket - try Velo Solo. Best to use a dedicated sprocket as they wear better.

Most flip-flop hubs are 120mm OLN whereas regular road frame spacing is 130mm - so if you go that route, check you buy a hub that fits your frame. Steel frames can be re-set to fit, other materials can't.

You don't mention how you are going to adjust chain tension - does your frame have horizontal/sloping drop-outs or are you planning to use a tensioner?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..