Wheel options and opinions

rapid_donkey
rapid_donkey Posts: 448
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Im running Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs on Mavic XM319 rims. I use Bonty XR4 2.2 tyres which fit fine, but they are quite wide and the rim is quite narrow. I dont know if this is the cause, but my wheels are getting pretty scraped and scratched up (riding mostly Dark Peak trails).

They still run straight and true, but Im thinking about getting a wider rim. Ive looked at Stans Flows and Arches on Pro 2 Evo hubs and they seem to fit the bill. Only problem is, every man and his dog seems to have the same wheels.

Any other options, around the same price range, for a 21mm+ wide wheelset? Preferably with Hope hubs.

Cheers.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thinking logically, the wider the tyre is than the rim, the better protected the rim is.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The width of your rim is fine for the tyre and is nothing to do with it getting scratched. It's more to do with the very abrasive rock in the dark peak area.
    Are you just looking for excuses for new bits?
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    Only problem is, every man and his dog seems to have the same wheels.

don't you ride an orange 5 :lol:
  • dhooper7
    dhooper7 Posts: 156
    I have a set of Superstar Tesla's on Stan's Flow EX.

In my opinion the rear hub is better than the Hope. Equally as reliable since they use the same SKF bearings, and the 72 point pickup in the freewheel is a help on the big climbs.

There's a reason why everyone has Stan's rims. 29.1mm for the Flow, 24.6mm for the Arch.
    If you can get away with 24.6mm for your riding style I'd go for the Arch. If you ride uplifts even once a blue moon go Flow
    2011 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2014 Boardman Hybrid Comp