Aston Hill?

wilkij1975
wilkij1975 Posts: 532
edited July 2014 in Routes
Thinking of going at the weekend. Is it worth it and any advice?

I'm no downhiller by the way so will probably stay away from that. I'll be on a Stumpy FSR Evo, 26in.

Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The XC is rubbish. The red is fun but short and a lousy push back up.

Unless you want to do the black and DH runs it's all a bit pointless.

For me it's pointless. I did get lost my first time and headed down the black thinking it was part of the XC route. For a while I thought I was more rubbish than usual.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • wilkij1975
    Cheers for that. Good to know.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Surface 2 air would be ok on a stumpy if you're good at jumping but other than that and the black trail it's not great.
  • wilkij1975
    Well I gave it a go today and couldn't make head nor tail of the place! I made out about 1 mile of the XC trail but it was so routey it was almost un-rideable! Could make out one of the downhill tracks but looked way beyond my level. Good watching the lads going down it though.
  • Dayz
    Dayz Posts: 33
    cooldad wrote:
    The XC is rubbish. The red is fun but short and a lousy push back up.

Unless you want to do the black and DH runs it's all a bit pointless.

For me it's pointless. I did get lost my first time and headed down the black thinking it was part of the XC route. For a while I thought I was more rubbish than usual.

I have a lot to look forward to then in my new MTB career as i quite enjoy the XC route at aston hill as that and whippendell woods are the only two places I currently frequent. So if the XC at aston hill is on the rubbish end of the scale, I look forward to the rest.

Granted it took me a day of exploration to link all the bits and bobs to create the full XC loop and my first visit there I shot off down DH3 thinking this is aweful rough going for a XC route (only 4th or 5th time back on a MTB).

But for me, living only 5 minutes drive, and having a few weekdays off work where I can pop in when its empty at no charge; I enjoy it. Although I'd be interested in hearing what else that is better is in the local region...