Sweat rashes

apple eater
apple eater Posts: 302
anyone else get them in the groin area?

I've had 2 so far this year and they a right pain in the 'arris!

How do you deal with, prevent or treat them? How does it affect your riding?
I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You sure it is not a fungal infection? I used to get them.
  • gazman428
    gazman428 Posts: 111
    I use talc all the time. It stops the sweating and then the rash.
    I don't use any chamois cream. I just cover downstairs in talc and I'm good.
  • pilch
    pilch Posts: 1,136
    edited June 2014
    Irritation can be caused by sitting about in sweaty gear when you have finished riding, if possible shower straight away or use some baby wipes to clean yourself then change your underwear asap.

Medicated chamois cream helps too.
    A berm? were you expecting one?

29er race

29er bouncer
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    No probs in the groin area but I can't wear gloves or shin pads because of sweat rashes. I get a little bit on my back / shoulders too but nothing compared to hands / wrist and shins. A shower after a ride is a given and I wash my gear between rides, but it still persists. Anything with neoprene in it seems to make it worse too. The only thing that seems to clear it up is a betnovate type cream, but it would be better if I could prevent it as I'd like to be able to wear my gloves and pads.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    If you mean in the "crease" area at the top of the leg and groin, I think its caused by the chaffing of hair against the skin which is quite abrasive. Hence I try to keep myself nice n trim.

Went on a long ride yesterday and tried "Bag Balm", its a bit like vaseline so may be try that if you have some about.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • apple eater
    all very good and welcome answers and suggestions

supersonic, it has started as a fungal rash, i used to get them in the gym regularly. I would be in the gym 2 + hours at least 3 times a week, i am probably prone to those things even though i would always shower after a workout.

gazman, talc seems to have stopped working in this heat, i must be an excessively sweaty bloke.

Drlodge, you seem to have hit the nail on the head. Now that the fungal element has subsided i can see there is a redness in the crease area around the groin/top of inside leg. I don't think i'm going to lose what little hair i already have but i will try this miracle "bag balm". If it is as good as the things i've been reading about it, then it will have plenty of use in my house and on my lot.

Thanks a bunch.
    I don't know enough to make smart r's remarks about peoples choice of parts 'n' things, yet!
  • apple eater
    dr lodge, where do you get the bag balm from?
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Yep sounds like crotch rot, basically a fungal infection like atheletes foot etc, you need anti fungal cream to cure it, Ive had it brought on by long swetty rides and not changing to clean and dry shorts quick enough afterwards

http://www.wikihow.com/Cure-Jock-Itch
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    dr lodge, where do you get the bag balm from?

Ebay - I got the last 20oz tin from the chap I think http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121325193334
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • steve6690
    steve6690 Posts: 190
    Started getting it last month when the weather turned hotter. Cleared it up by wacking a capful of dettol in my bath water, and taking the cycling shorts in the bath with me for a soak.
  • Gibbo3771
    Gibbo3771 Posts: 145
    I talc myself up, everywhere really. Key zones are in the crack and between the thighs, if you wear baggies without an inner lining you will end up cutting yourself up pretty bad with the fabric.
  • steve9uk
    steve9uk Posts: 126
    I found wearing boxer shorts underneath my padded shorts caused sweat rashes. I've ditched the lycra padded shorts type now and I've never had a sweat rash since. I just wear the baggy shorts with underwear now.
  • reg_
    reg_ Posts: 21
    Daktacort is the stuff to get rid of the rash.