Brompfication

drlodge
drlodge Posts: 4,826
edited June 2014 in Road general
£155 for a Brompton seat post, saving a massive 185g :roll:

34616.jpg
WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
Find me on Strava

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    185g in a seatpost is a massive saving is it not?

I'm certain the price would be similar in any roadie seatpost that saved that much weight!
  • drlodge
    The facts its weight off the seat post is somewhat irrelevant IMO

A Brompton weights 11.7kg and costs what, about £1,000? So you're paying 15% the price of the bike for a weight reduction of 1.5% of the bike, much much less if you add in the fat cat sitting on it and his brief case. 185g is less than the weight of a small bottle of water! Pointless.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    A saving of 185g you say ? That's fantastic, my seat post is 176g, so this is a significant saving, it means that the new seat post will weigh -9g ?!?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    Discagree.
    Not all Brompton owners are (a) feline or (b) fat.

And more importantly, the chance to reduce weight is quite a consideration, given the need to carry the darn things for quite a way. (I've never successfully managed to get mine to wheel itself along train station concourses, in and out of buildings etc.) Yes it's expensive. So is a lot of fancy bike kit. Bromptons aren't just utility bikes.

(No I don't have one of these expensive seatposts. Yes I do have a similar lighter cheaper one).
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • drlodge
    MattC59 wrote:
    A saving of 185g you say ? That's fantastic, my seat post is 176g, so this is a significant saving, it means that the new seat post will weigh -9g ?!?

Ah, that's cos its filled with helium!

Buf of course its not the weight that matters, but the mass :wink:
    Find me on Strava
  • iPete
    drlodge wrote:

A Brompton weights 11.7kg and costs what, about £1,000? So you're paying 15% the price of the bike for a weight reduction of 1.5% of the bike, much much less if you add in the fat cat sitting on it and his brief case. 185g is less than the weight of a small bottle of water! Pointless.

Isn't it all pointless? I mean, saving weight on pretty much any bike?
    And a Brompton Titanium would be your starting point and that's much more expensive!!
  • drlodge
    iPete wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

Isn't it all pointless? I mean, saving weight on pretty much any bike?
    And a Brompton Titanium would be your starting point and that's much more expensive!!

Yep! Esepcially when you consider I'll start a long ridge with 2kg of water in my bidons.
    Find me on Strava
  • iPete
    Actually it makes more sense to mod a Brompton than a Road bike, as you have to carry the bugger.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    drlodge wrote:

Or pay nothing for a whopping weight saving of 11.7kg and you don't look like a twat on a kids bike.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    lawrences wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

Or pay nothing for a whopping weight saving of 11.7kg and you don't look like a fool on a kids bike.

Bromptons have their use. They aren't that bad to ride either, if you don't expect a racing whippet out of them. I've borrowed one of my client's Bromptons for a ride before here in Cambridge, and it was quite pleasurable!
  • lawrences
    lawrences wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

Or pay nothing for a whopping weight saving of 11.7kg and you don't look like a fool on a kids bike.

Bromptons have their use. They aren't that bad to ride either, if you don't expect a racing whippet out of them. I've borrowed one of my client's Bromptons for a ride before here in Cambridge, and it was quite pleasurable!

Would you describe them as a businessman's alternative to heelies?
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    lawrences wrote:
    lawrences wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

Looks like you'd love one of these!

http://www.micro-scooters.co.uk/micro-3 ... ter-2.html
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    lawrences wrote:
    lawrences wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

No I would describe them as a quick and easy way to use trains, and bring bikes into the office.
  • lawrences

Looks like you'd love one of these!

http://www.micro-scooters.co.uk/micro-3 ... ter-2.html

Oh hell yes. I'll be sailing past the peasants on that!
  • iPete
    edited June 2014
    There are many a Brompton rider about the city who would destroy most people on here, had to deploy 30mph to edge past one chap last week.

But yes, they make 100% sense in the city, feel like an adults BMX but take it outside zone 6 you feel a bit daft but they are great machine that can do more than you think.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    lawrences wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

The pensioner I met on the summit of Mt Evans (14,000 feet) who'd ridden up on a titanium Brompton didn't look like a fool on a kids bike.... :roll:
    Faster than a tent.......