Which chain & cassette?

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
I need a new 10 speed chain and cassette. It needs to be 11-28t as it's for my downhill bike. Ideally I would like a aluminium spider on the cassette so that it doesn't eat my freehub.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Buy one then.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Which ones are good? I usually just buy SLX but they don't seem to come in 11-28. Are road cassettes any good?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yeah. But are quite close. On a proper DH don't you need like four or five gears so you don't really want them 1 or 2 teeth apart. I'd have a think about what you use and custom tune it to the course
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Yeah. But are quite close. On a proper DH don't you need like four or five gears so you don't really want them 1 or 2 teeth apart. I'd have a think about what you use and custom tune it to the course

If you are going 10 speed 11-28 you are going to get close ratios by definition unless you go with say 6 cogs and spacers - I'd say to get more varience in ratios, get a 11-32 which will have a little more jump in some of the cogs? No?
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's the same set up I have had for a couple years. The close ratios are useful for quick starts, the bigger end of the cassette doesn't get much use.
    To be honest I didn't like the idea of 10 speed but it works pretty well.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Just get a Ultegra road cassette, these have a ally spider and available as 11-28 as for chain anything 10 speed, I prefer KMC chains or Shimano XT