Foxy 2014

jas754
jas754 Posts: 26
edited June 2014 in Your mountain bikes
So i was all set too buy myself a lapierre zesty 650b bike after owning a 2011 version last year then just flicking through evans website as you do at random bikes came across the mondraker foxy 650b bikes, always been one for something abit different (lefty's, old whyte bikes ect) i was very taken with the bike
though the base model the spec wasnt great and the r version better spec'd but not what would of chosen, but a chance phone call too a shop for a quote for the base model on finance and ended up with a bargain, they were out of stock as were silverfish, also there new credit licence hadnt come through so if i preordered and could pay cash was offered 330 quid discount, deal done!

bike turned up 5 mins before afternoon teabreak at work, result! unpackaged and built up in 20 minutes of delivery
photo1_zpsb2184c73.jpg

crappy pics i know
photo2_zps51e121f6.jpg

had a quick blast through the woods opposite my house earlier, have to say its a weird feeling being able to see the bridge over the forks from a seated position, lol, all was working great just need to play the the suspension setup a little

not going mad straight away but a few upgrades will be added over time, thinking of modding the crank too a 1x10 setup first off, im thinking the brades on this are going to be really bad, so first mod may well be a set of xt brakes as there a good price at the mo

all in all very happy

Comments

• declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Great looking bike - I love the raw finish. Hope you have fun riding it! :D

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Personally I'd sell the brakes and forks as new and buy XTs and a 160mm Pike.. But otherwise the spec really isn't too bad and you got a nice deal there with evans

I've heard the forward geo bikes are super stable on decents, have fun!
  • You will have so much fun on that!!
    I would go for the XT brakes asap and although I love the Fox forks on my hardtail a Pike would be amazing on that thing
    James
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    that looks like it's gonna be a lot of fun!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Yup dump the fox fork asap :) i did on my dune! shop did at purchase for me.. the kashima 2014 24 was crap in comparison so the standard evo fork there is nothing in comparison.

awesome bike though good choice ;) as we all know i totally biased with the mondrakers!
  • jas754
    sorry ive not replied, this site has become a nightmare, just cant log in on my phone or tablet with this beta software, had to nick kids laptop to reply, that hasnt gone down well, lol

been on a couple of short runs on the bike now, playing around with suspension set up still, rides really nice, feels very stable and safe, hopefully get out for a decent run over the weekend
    couple of upgrades too, i fitted deity decoy lt pedals first off, ive ordered a raceface 30t narrow wide chainring to convert to a 1x10 setup (my old zesty the 3 speed shifter fell apart and ran months with a 32t chainring on 26" rims and was bang on, so thinking a 30t on 27.5 should work out about right)
    then finally ive ordered a set of xt brakes from crc, extra 10% off and a fiver voucher came out at 111 quid, bargain, just need to learn how to cut the lines down now and re bleed if necessary

all in all a happy bunny :mrgreen:

Yup dump the fox fork asap :) i did on my dune! shop did at purchase for me.. the kashima 2014 24 was crap in comparison so the standard evo fork there is nothing in comparison.

awesome bike though good choice ;) as we all know i totally biased with the mondrakers!

seems everyone raves about the pikes, may go that route eventually, im well chuffed with the bike so far
    that looks like it's gonna be a lot of fun!

:mrgreen:
    You will have so much fun on that!!
    I would go for the XT brakes asap and although I love the Fox forks on my hardtail a Pike would be amazing on that thing
    James

cheers, im hoping so mate, the fox dont seem the easiest to set up, but not tried the bike in anger yet
    ej2320 wrote:
    Personally I'd sell the brakes and forks as new and buy XTs and a 160mm Pike.. But otherwise the spec really isn't too bad and you got a nice deal there with evans

I've heard the forward geo bikes are super stable on decents, have fun!

i have thought about the pikes, but would need to sell the fox first and they dont seem to sell to well, it wasnt actually evans i got the deal, just where i first sore the bike

declan1 wrote:
    Great looking bike - I love the raw finish. Hope you have fun riding it! :D

i didnt realize it was a laquered brushed aluminium finish when i bought it, lol, does look stunning though
  • jas754
    first bit of bling, raceface narrow wide chainring turned up today

photo_zpsca7eaa74.jpg

fitted and tested, the 30t seems about the right gear range for me at the mo, as my fitness improves i'll maybe add a new chainring a bit further down the line
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    My worry with a 30t would be spinning out a little on descents and not having resistance under my feet going into tech stuff fast.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • sanchez89
    sanchez89 Posts: 567
    look great!

as for shortening brake hoses the new shimano ones are sooooo easy.

pads out, squeeze lever so pistons come out a bit, shorten hose to length, reattach, push pistons back in, crack open bleed port on lever to let out any excess air/fluid, job done.
    2011 KHS Full Susser Carbon 29er Race Build
    Clank wrote:
    M'eh, I might just go back to zapping it with frikken lay-zur beeeems. And sharks.
  • leythervegas
    leythervegas Posts: 191
    That's a superb looking bike mate. How are you finding the maxxis ardents? They may be a future upgrade for my spectral