heading to afan on friday what to do?

jonnyashworth
jonnyashworth Posts: 547
edited July 2014 in Routes
Its been a couple of years since I rode Afan but am planning on heading up there on Friday morning and leaving Saturday afternoon. So firstly I will be camping at Glyncorrwg.... which trails do you recommend I ride and in what order?

Also I am trying to decide between running my hope pro3 AM's with stans flow's or my Easton Haven Mag's??? I know its a trivial question but I just need someone to nudge me in the right direction to help me make up mu mind.
Yeti SB66c 2013

Comments

• paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    You dont need particularly beefy wheels for afan. Flows should be fine.

Ride W2 - takes in Whites level st the Glyncorrwg end and the Wall at the Afan end and takes around 4 hours - start with bacon breakfast at the Skyline Cafe and aim for a later lunch back there - the cafe at Afan isn't up to much. Plan perhaps for a play in the bike park up high on the W2 Afan end (there is a cafe up there too which aint bad).

Then day two hit maybe Penhydd in the morning and Blade in the afternoon - or possibly Skyline if you fancy a longer run with views.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Worth considering a little trip to Brechfa if you are in the area or a stop at Cwm Carn on way out of Wales too.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • I'm already working on the wife to let me have a couple of days riding at the end of our holiday!

In the end I decided to go with the havens as they were 200g lighter per wheel! and having just stuck some pikes on I thought it would be a good offset! :)

I probably wont get on the bike until after 2pm and want to be fairly fresh on Saturday so I was considering doing whytes on Friday then up the whytes climb and down the wall descent on Saturday followed by penrhydd.
    Would that be a good thing to do?

Also is anyone else heading up there on Friday?
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Even flows are far more than you need at Afan, it's all pretty smooth.
    Once you have done W2 it's worth doing the Whites Level climb then turn right at the top and find the Skyline final descent.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    I would give the blade trail a try. It's new and apparently quite good.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Cqc wrote:
    I would give the blade trail a try. It's new and apparently quite good.

It's terrible. Worst new trail I have ridden. There's just no flow to it and if it rains then it gets muddy with lots of standing water.
    W2 and then a climb back up Whites to do the Skyline final descent is, in my opinion the best day at Afan.