Muc-off bike spray on Stanchions?

r3hxn
r3hxn Posts: 127
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys,

just wanted to ask if its safe/good idea to use Muc-Off bike spray ( the finishing stuff, comes in black can)
as seen here

on stanchions, i.e after a ride, wipe down, spray.

I've read threads asking about the cleaning stuff, which most have said is a no-no, as it damages the rubber seals. But my question was specific to this stuff, which by the sound of it was made for this kind of application.

note: I understand, proper cleaning and lubing should still be done, but im asking more about a quick job, in between rides and proper washes.

thanks!

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
Scott Scale - Custom mtb - Work in progress

Comments

• BigLee1
    BigLee1 Posts: 449
    I would suggest just giving the stanchions a wipe down, pop a bit of oily chain lube on, pump the forks a few times then wipe the tide mark of lube off
  • agreed!
    Personally I tend to use fox float fluid instead of chain lube.
    You need to be careful what you use on your stations.... I see a lot of people at my local trail centre car park spraying GT85 all over their forks (not a good idea!!!!). Personally I avoid using any spray products on my bikes as its the quickest way to contaminate your brakes!
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    it'll be fine just wash it off with lots of water after (as per instructions)
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    The label on the back indicates it's safe on rubber and plastics so should be fine.

Personally I use a silicone based lube as it doesn't attract dirt in the way other lubes can.

For the record I use Autoglym as it's specifically designed for use on rubber and plastics, stay clear of WD etc or any other mineral based lubes as they may damage the seals.