Strength exercices for bunnyhopping

meehah
meehah Posts: 11
edited June 2014 in MTB beginners
Hey guys I've got another bunnyhop question. I think my arm and leg strength is holding me back from getting my maximum bunnyhop height. Anyone got some exercices

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Although I'm not exactly an expert and can manage a few inches, I believe it's down to technique, not strength.

Something tells me that doing exercise specifically to bunnyhop is a bit strange.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Dave_P1
    Dave_P1 Posts: 565
    Agree with the above, just keep on practicing and you will get there in the end
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You shouldn't be pulling up to bunnyhop. Strength has nothing to do with it, it's all technique.
    First stage is to learn to manual (like a wheelie but no pedalling, just balance). Once you're in a manual just unweight the rear and up it comes.
    Pulling up to bunnyhop is not good, it will really unbalance your riding position.
  • meehah
    That's the problem. I can't pull up high enough to get to the balance point in a manual. Anyone got ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You don't pull up to manual, you move your weight backwards.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    BMX... that's how I learned to bunnyhop high as foooook. The technique translates well onto bigger bikes ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Meehah wrote:
    That's the problem. I can't pull up high enough to get to the balance point in a manual. Anyone got ideas on what I'm doing wrong?
    It's never about strength. It could be the bike- some bikes are impossible to manual (practically). It could be your technique- not getting back far enough. It could be your speed- a bit more of it can help. It's definitely not your strength.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Weight back and push with your feet to get the front up. I takes a while to get it right.
  • meehah
    I put my weight back all the way and I still can't do it. I'll try the foot push though.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Just lean back and yank the bars up as much as you can, then when at the highest point push them forward at the same time as bringing your knees up to level the bike out :)

The crucial bit is doing it all in one smooth motion, and speed isn't a factor other than for balance. Just try at rolling speed, and try hopping a pile of 2x4s or something that won't knock you off if you crash into it.

I can hop my big bike around 2-3ft, and my BMX around waist height (I can actually do it higher if I have something to hop onto or over)... fast or slow. It's all about the technique ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Gibbo3771
    Gibbo3771 Posts: 145
    I learned by following this, I had a hella trouble at first. Days of practice and I can clear 6 inch curbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPFW8OkOAGI