Brailsford vid

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited June 2014 in Pro race
Seeing as the other thread has been shut down

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/incycle ... on-dilemma
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Not sure why the other thread was shut down but that there is my interview and shooting :wink:
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    The maylow jorne.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Riis saying it is a big mistake not to take Wiggins, he would have handled things differently and the whole situation wouldn't have been acceptable on his team.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • phil s
    Riis saying it is a big mistake not to take Wiggins, he would have handled things differently and the whole situation wouldn't have been acceptable on his team.

DB said he is looking at the harmony of the entire team, not just Froome/Wiggo. Riis could just be playing mind games à la Mourinho.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Meh, at the end of the day if Brailsford was unsurpassed at man management, he'd be able to mash the 9 best cyclists on Team Sky into a cohesive team, and IMO, an inform Wiggins is part of that group of 9 cyclists.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542

Riis stirring sh!t.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    edited June 2014
    The only line worth listening to from the whole 6 mins is Brailsford saying "I'm pretty good at picking world beating teams"

Boom and Fondle you to anyone else

Riis has got Sh1t on Brailsford apart from a Kloden like ability to escape doping sanctions so obvious Jonathan Pierce could see them...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    edited June 2014
    I know many of you have no interest in football but after England's defeat Chris Waddle had a good rant and said:

"It's not about picking your star players.... It's about getting the balance of a side that's going to get you a result, and we never ever do. And the media's to blame as much as anyone because when they drop someone or play them in a different position we're on their case straight away".

Smart guy.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    Whatcha doing up this late Ricardo?
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    ddraver wrote:
    Whatcha doing up this late Ricardo?
    Insomniac. I've got to play in the Welsh Over 40s hockey tournament all this weekend too. I think the first game is at 9.30.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    Ha ha Good Luck!

I tried to find a hockey joke i could make but all i found was a bunch of closet American lesbians defending it on here - http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... id=6681319

Clearly they ve never played in the UK (albeit not in NL)... ;)
    - @ddraver
  • iainf72
    Jez mon wrote:
    Meh, at the end of the day if Brailsford was unsurpassed at man management, he'd be able to mash the 9 best cyclists on Team Sky into a cohesive team, and IMO, an inform Wiggins is part of that group of 9 cyclists.

Makes you wonder why when people are interviewed for jobs, they tend to see if someone will actually fit in to the organisation.

Puzzles me why people seem to struggle with the concept of leaving someone out being good man management.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,553
    iainf72 wrote:
    Puzzles me why people seem to struggle with the concept of leaving someone out being good man management.

Because they see the person being left out as an angel.

Puzzles me more how anyone could have seen Wiggins in the Tour de Suisse and thought he merited a placed in the tour.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    iainf72 wrote:

Maybe if Dave hadn't needed the restraining order after being surprised by the blindingly obvious, his reputation would be less of a puzzle.

The man who invented Olympic 'cycles' suffers too. He's had a shocker since 2012.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,229
    Nice bit of work, Phil S - although interestingly, on a technical note, I preferred the side shot rather than the key (whereas it often comes across as a blatant afterthought).
  • phil s
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    Nice bit of work, Phil S - although interestingly, on a technical note, I preferred the side shot rather than the key (whereas it often comes across as a blatant afterthought).

Cheers, I won't tell my ENG guy. The key shot was his, on a hefty tripod and a PMW500, so given that it was on the team bus, we could only place it there - in the aisle. The side-on shot was mine, shot with a GH4 in 4K and then cropped in post in a couple of the edits. I then hopped over to the other side of the bus for the interviewing and kept one eye on my monitor. #camerachat
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    Seeing as the football world cup is currently on, a good piece regarding another excellent athlete that was ignored by his national manager and the reasons why:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... nning.html

Another quote from Deschamps not referenced in that piece that says it all: "Talent is not everything."

Clearly Wiggins is an exceptional cyclist but in a 3 week stage race team harmony is paramount IMHO
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    iainf72 wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

Makes you wonder why when people are interviewed for jobs, they tend to see if someone will actually fit in to the organisation.

If I was leaving my highest paid engineer out of every project team because he didn't get on with his colleagues and / or wouldn't pull his weight I suspect my bosses would question my man management skills! If he doesn't fit in any longer then they should have come to a 'mutual agreement' to go their separate ways and although I'm a a Wiggins fan I would have thought they could have legitimately cancelled his contract based on some performances last season and (from reading the comments of others on here) his Suisse ride.
  • iainf72
    Pross wrote:
    If I was leaving my highest paid engineer out of every project team because he didn't get on with his colleagues and / or wouldn't pull his weight I suspect my bosses would question my man management skills! If he doesn't fit in any longer then they should have come to a 'mutual agreement' to go their separate ways and although I'm a a Wiggins fan I would have thought they could have legitimately cancelled his contract based on some performances last season and (from reading the comments of others on here) his Suisse ride.

Isn't what's happening basically what happens in most industries? Maybe he's being "managed out". You can't sack him, trying to exit contract difficult / undesirable, so you give him "special projects" and let the contract naturally expire?
  • joelsim
    Pross wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

Hence why Wiggo is leaving Sky.
  • joelsim
    dsoutar wrote:
    Seeing as the football world cup is currently on, a good piece regarding another excellent athlete that was ignored by his national manager and the reasons why:

Another quote from Deschamps not referenced in that piece that says it all: "Talent is not everything."

Clearly Wiggins is an exceptional cyclist but in a 3 week stage race team harmony is paramount IMHO

A quote from the water carrier himself!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    Joelsim wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

Hence why Wiggo is leaving Sky.

But this was going on 12 months ago. They should have come to an arrangement at the end of last season if it's so disruptive you feel you can't use your highly paid rider in the races he's supposed to be trying to win.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,553
    dsoutar wrote:

Nasri isn't really comparable to Wiggins. Nasri might wind some people up, but he always tries his hardest on a football pitch. Deschamps is just doing the same as many managers before him and taking a hard line with the "trouble makers" - it mostly reflects on the manager's need for control rather improving the team's performance.