cube acid 27.5 2014, any good?

johnny_Q
johnny_Q Posts: 12
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
so I'm new to this game and been pestering a friend for advice for a while now so thought I'd give him a break and bother you good folks here :wink:

any one riding/ridden one of these and have any views?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube ... prod114083

that's probably top end of my budget, though I could maybe talk my employer into the ride to work scheme and push up to the £1000 ceiling but not sure it's worth all the faff of getting sorted out

will initially just be pretty straight forward off road biking few simple trails and that sort of thing, though would like to get a bit more adventurous as the fitness levels improve

this a good starting point? or am I way off

thanks in advance

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is a perfectly reasonable bike for what you describe. Is more cross country biased than trail ripper though.
  • johnny_Q
    supersonic wrote:
    Is a perfectly reasonable bike for what you describe. Is more cross country biased than trail ripper though.

ah ok, thanks for that. though your reply raises another question for the uneducated fool in me! what's the difference between cross country and trail riding though? to a noob like me they both seem the same

apologies if my stupidity causes offence!
  • supersonic
    No probs ;-)

They often overlap - and too many they are the same. But the XC bikes today tend to be a little steeper in their angles (quicker steering - at the expense of stability), shorter travel forks, lighter parts. This sort of has a bit of both really, will work fine, but if you plan to tackle harder terrain with steeper downs, a bit more travel and more relaxed geometry might just be the ticket.

This for example:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO45650BD ... ntain-bike
  • johnny_Q
    supersonic wrote:
    No probs ;-)

They often overlap - and too many they are the same. But the XC bikes today tend to be a little steeper in their angles (quicker steering - at the expense of stability), shorter travel forks, lighter parts. This sort of has a bit of both really, will work fine, but if you plan to tackle harder terrain with steeper downs, a bit more travel and more relaxed geometry might just be the ticket.

This for example:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOO45650BD ... ntain-bike

nice explanation - even I can more or less understand that - many thanks :mrgreen:

the on-one looks like a nice bike and I had actually been looking at it and a few others, reason I'm leaning towards the cube is that CRC is pretty local to me and i would prefer to be able to go look at and get a 'feel' of the bikes. as I've never had a decent mtb before I've no point of reference so a wee bit put off buying online. wouldn't want to shell out for a bike, have it delivered and not feel comfortable on it!

thanks for all the info btw, much appreciated. some of the 'advice' sites I've been on can be a bit confusing
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    I think for a newer rider the One One would be a bit more forgiving, particularly if you start to ride more testing stuff.
  • johnny_Q
    chrisw333 wrote:
    I think for a newer rider the One One would be a bit more forgiving, particularly if you start to ride more testing stuff.

i take it when you say a bit more forgiving you mean I'm less likely to come off on my mouth and nose :P

to be honest though most of my riding will be pretty straight forward for quite a while. the trails etc I've been looking at would probably only qualify as flat paths to most of you guys!
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Yes, as SS says, slacker geometry and more travel (suspension fork travel) makes a more stable bike and easier over steeper and rougher trails.
  • johnny_Q
    chrisw333 wrote:
    Yes, as SS says, slacker geometry and more travel (suspension fork travel) makes a more stable bike and easier over steeper and rougher trails.

the dilemma i have though is that I'm not really confident enough to purchase online only. ideally whatever i pick up would have to be available locally so i could get a look and feel for the bike, eg, the vitus 275 @ CRC looks a cracking bike at it's price range (£799) but when i went and looked at it and sat on it i just plain did not like it or feel comfortable with it and that would worry me buying from online only stores.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    I certainly think if you are not sure about sizing you are quite right not to buy online. make sure you try to get as much as a test as possible.
  • johnny_Q
    Ferrals wrote:
    I certainly think if you are not sure about sizing you are quite right not to buy online. make sure you try to get as much as a test as possible.

well that's basically it in a nutshell, if i was more experienced and knew what i needed size/geometry wise from a bike i suppose I'd be happy to buy online but as I'm such a noob I'd just feel more comfortable buying from a bricks and mortar store
  • johnny_Q
    ok, rather than starting a new thread i'll ask another question in here!

after a bit of consideration and having the difference between xc and trail bikes explained i'd probably be better off aiming more towards the trail side of things, with that in mind could anyone suggest me a decent beginners trail suited bike in or around 800 quid, the other thing is it would ideally need to be available from CRC for the reasons i've stated above....

thanks again in advance :P
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    How tall are you and how long are your legs?
  • johnny_Q
    IDave wrote:
    How tall are you and how long are your legs?

you know when I wrote my last post I could have sworn I had put that info in, been a long week :?

I'm a short dude 5ft 5 or 6 and inside leg is about 29 - 30 inch
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    Well CRC don't really have anything with more than 100mm travel at your price range.

Do you live near a Halfords? You could consider this
  • johnny_Q
    IDave wrote:
    Well CRC don't really have anything with more than 100mm travel at your price range.

Do you live near a Halfords? You could consider this

there's a couple near me but both are pretty small and selection is pretty poor, though I suppose they could order it in so I could a look. the main problem with the Halfords near me are that any time I've been in the staff (without wanting to sound like a tool) are complete space cadets and was completely put off by the experience with them

supersonic wrote:

have actually been on that bike and, not sure what it is about it, but it just didn't feel comfortable even though it was pretty much set up to suit my size :(

if needs be I can push the budget to the £1000 mark if that helps any (god help me if her indoors finds out though! lol)

had looked at this, but was put off by the colour (I know that aint a good way to pick a bike!)
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/comm ... prod108528
  • supersonic
    The Meta HT looks good. Has the more stable geometry, good fork - even a dropper post. The SRAM X5 stuff is a bit ropey, but it works.
  • johnny_Q
    supersonic wrote:
    The Meta HT looks good. Has the more stable geometry, good fork - even a dropper post. The SRAM X5 stuff is a bit ropey, but it works.

to my eternal shame the bit above I've highlighted means absolutely nothing to me! you might as well have been speaking Swahili! :oops:
  • johnny_Q
    the more I look into all this the more confused I seem to be getting! might have been better just getting the acid without asking questions, after all they do say ignorance is bliss lol
  • supersonic
    The dropper post allows you to drop the saddle on the fly for extra clearance via a bar mounted lever.

X5 is entry level 10 speed gearing from SRAM. It's not a deal breaker - but is a bit plasticky.
  • steviecapt
    steviecapt Posts: 70
    if i were in your position, i would definately take a serious look again at the boardman bike, you wont find many better value for money bikes out there, and they get good reviews form many people ,including me, i have a boardman urban team r, its been the best value for money bike ive ever bought, and rides far better than more expensive bikes ive owned over the years, although i do understand your resevations about halfords staff, but it all depends on whih store you go too, also once youve owned the bike for a while and start to do your own maintenance ,you probably wouldnt need their staff much, theres plenty of videos on line about bike maintenance, take a look at, www.parktool.com , cheers steve