getting the drill bits out!

jonnyashworth
jonnyashworth Posts: 547
edited June 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I currently run a hope pro 3 am wheelset on my full sus and an Easton haven mag on the hardtail.
I have converted the hope rear hub to a 10x135 thru axle but am still running the haven as 9x135qr as the parts (end caps) are not available to do a legit conversion. Upon removing the end caps off the haven hubs I have found that the internal axle is ...... low and behold ...... a perfect 10mm :D:D:D .
This has made me decide that drilling out the end caps to 10mm will successfully result in being able to run the desired 135x10 rear axle :D:D:D .
My dilemma is that I don't have a pillar drill in the workshop :x should I just get the dewalt battery drill out and smash a hole through it or post the relevant parts up to my buddy in Manchester who will jig the end caps up and punch a perfect 10mm hole through them??? would it even matter if I punched a 11 or 12 through myself as the axle is a perfect 10?
Yeti SB66c 2013

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Strange as the rear standard is 10mm anyway. It is only the front that is 9mm.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, strange that the rear is a 10mm axle as per the standard 99% of bikes are built to! as the axle are 10mm it almost certainly means the end caps have a 10mm hole in them to fit over the axle as well, they may not fit otherwise!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • okay so maybe I haven't explained it properly... this is the axle im trying to drill out the ned caps for....
    http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/1 ... h-axle.htm

as opposed to a standard qr
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • I've done this before, no idea what wheel though, it was ages ago.

10mm drill bit, end cap in a vice or even a g-clamp with your foot on it. Drill bit will find the middle of the hole itself.

Done.
    Delete my fucking account.
  • Who is your friend in Manchester?!
    You could do with it being quite accurate really
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    A photo would help to show what you want to drill.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Well I've bitten the bullet and done it!!!!
    I have drilled out the end caps of my qr 135 Easton haven hubs to 10mm (freehand using a 4ft sash cramp to hold the end cap in place) and inserted a superstar 10mm qr!!! result!!! everything is working perfectly and now bothe my wheelsets are totally interchangeable!
    Yeti SB66c 2013