Recommend a tyre?

r3hxn
r3hxn Posts: 127
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

just wanted some advice on what tyres to buy, as theres so much choice out there. I don't want to spend too much,
looking for a pair that comes sub £40. Ideally sub £30, (even if used, but with life) but will base that on your advise.

I'm not going to be doing too many miles. Maybe 20-30k a week for the summer.

I am not going to be hitting muddy, wet areas much

the Place I ride, has a lot of loose gravel, dusty, hard tracks with some forest single track. ( sorry, if I dont know the technicaly accurate names of the trail types)

I'd like to feel safe, rather then achieve speed.

I don't want it to be completely useless for road riding, as this would often be used as a spare bike for friend when road riding for fitness. As long as he can keep up with my Hybrid, then its fine.

So something that achieves an ok balance with these points in mind please. ..

thanks!

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
Scott Scale - Custom mtb - Work in progress

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Panaracer Fire XC Pro are a good option, the wired ones are the same compound as folding and you can get a pair for sub £25, they are a very good all round tyre, they also work well on hard packed surfaces and tarmac, although they don't excel on any one surface either.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    Spesh Purgatory Control, look out for the review of them on here. Excellent cheaper tyre option.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    But they come in at about £25 EACH....that's a bit over the stated budget!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • r3hxn
    ok thanks both, will investigate both these tyres.

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    r3hxn wrote:

fukme, I only do 10k in my car a year :shock:
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    POAH wrote:
    r3hxn wrote:

I'm pretty sure he means 20-30k[m] a week!
  • Boromedic
    Boromedic Posts: 96
    Tyres are one of the most subjective things recommended on here so be prepared to be no nearer making a decision!

My 2p's worth though, you could do a lot worse than these:

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TYOOSM26X22 ... 6x225-tyre

I have the Enduro folding bead single compound on my 29er, great tyres for me, perform well across a lot of different surfaces and not too heavy at a decent price. Not tried the wired ones but should be similar albeit heavier, and a pair of them is £30, so the lower end of your budget (wa-haaaay!).

Can't compare them to much except plasticky Schwalbe Rapid Robs and Pacestar Nobby Nics, preferred the On One's as an all rounder, for full on mud fests however there may be better choices. They also have a lower rolling resistance on hardpack and tarmac than the Schwables too.

Good luck with whatever you get :-)
    "I should live in salt for leaving you, behind"

Ghost HTX Actinum 29er
  • Cookeh
    Cookeh Posts: 351
    The Rookie wrote:

They do indeed, I missed the "pair" part, Lord knows how - speed reading more than likely.

Apologies OP!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Cookeh wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

They do indeed, I missed the "pair" part, Lord knows how - bit dozy more than likely.

Apologies OP!
    FTFY
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • r3hxn
    IDave wrote:
    POAH wrote:
    r3hxn wrote:

I'm pretty sure he means 20-30k[m] a week!

that made me chuckle :D

I do indeed mean, 20 km ...!

thanks for the input on tyres, I do think I will go with the panracers. Good price, very popular, lots of reviews out there, mostly positive.

Cannondale Cx2 Hybrid
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    if you don't mind used then check out pinkbike sales section.

these slighly over budget

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/igni ... /wg_id-241

or these under budget

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/wild ... /wg_id-241