2014 Lapierre Zesty 427

Comments

• lappymatt
    lappymatt Posts: 331
    Yes ok, purple is marmite but it looks OK. And if you're happy that's all that matters.

Here's what I would have done :D lol sorry

Image1.jpg
  • AshW92
    AshW92 Posts: 67
    DCR00 wrote:
    If you are changing so much on the bike, why not build one from scratch ?

I wasn't originally planning on doing much to it to be honest mate, but after riding it a lot i just fancied making it my own, trying to shed some weight along the way now
    AshW92 wrote:
    all part of the fun

Indeed it is. I'm slowly getting rid of the red highlights on my Votec and going into 100% stealth mode 8)

Looking at the before and after shots and it def stands out from the crowd more now I'll give you that!

I'm really digging the Lap graphics on the top tube (front, drive-side) - nice and techie. Didn't used to rate the look of their bikes at all but they've stepped it up a few notches by the looks of things.

Thanks bud, yeah i massively love the graphics too, stands out massively but in a subtle way if such a thing is possible. Who knows, at some point in the future i'll probably change it up and go for a different colour combo but i'm just digging the purple atm
    meta55matt wrote:
    Yes ok, purple is marmite but it looks OK. And if you're happy that's all that matters.

Here's what I would have done :D lol sorry

Image1.jpg

Actually looks sick that mate, that was my initial plan but i was just fancying something a bit different really, 'shop looks class though

Went out and test rode the stem before, feels so much better now. Shortened the cockpit a little and dropped the bars a bit and gives me a greater sense of control when it starts pointing downwards
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    I'm starting to like the purple now, the stem looks really cool with the grips. Get a purple ring of course.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Yeah I think the purple looks good :)
  • AshW92
    welshkev wrote:
    Yeah I think the purple looks good :)
    Cqc wrote:
    I'm starting to like the purple now, the stem looks really cool with the grips. Get a purple ring of course.

We have some converts! ;) haha. What ring mate, front chainring? If so i'm just getting a black Hope narrow/wide, maybe just some purple chainring bolts for it, don't want to overdo the colour
  • AshW92
    Just a few ASW pics because she looked nice in the sun yesterday, also puts into perspective how unimposing the purple actually is. As said previously the stem changes how the bike descends, but i definitely need to go to 1 cog upfront and get a Southpaw for the Lev

qrx9mv.jpg

156e3oh.jpg
  • Cqc
    Awesome photos, looks really slack and awesome. But trust me, a colourful chainring is less flashy than colurful grips, so it won't be ott if you get a purple one
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Cqc wrote:
    Awesome photos, looks really slack and awesome. But trust me, a colourful chainring is less flashy than colurful grips, so it won't be ott if you get a purple one

I agree actually, I think a purple chainring would even up the colour
  • AshW92
    Does look really good actually lads, so much for the marmite look! haha. I fit my seat clamp yesterday but it's a bit big for the frame and doesn't actually suit the bike so i've binned that idea, just gonna go for a Deity seat, essentially the same as my one now just with purple accents. The purple chainring actually looks really good, the main reason for a black one was that i was wanting a Hope narrow/wide just for the quality
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    ...alright I'm sold too! It's looking pretty damn nice! I reckon purple rear hub and you're sorted
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • AshW92
    ...alright I'm sold too! It's looking pretty damn nice! I reckon purple rear hub and you're sorted

That's gonna be my birthday present to myself next month mate

33k9ldy.jpg

Can't wait
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    haha..one step ahead hey. Good stuff
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • AshW92
    haha..one step ahead hey. Good stuff

Got it all planned! haha. Glad i'm chainging some peoples minds though, like i said in real life it isn't as in your face, more of an accent thing
  • Cqc
    Wow! You like to get a bike and change every part, don't you :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Do you ride this bike or just bolt on purple bits and look at it?
  • Did someone say Purple?

imagejpg4_zps0a7b7c53.jpg
  • AshW92
    Cqc wrote:
    Wow! You like to get a bike and change every part, don't you :)

I've only changed my grips and stem, so no. New wheels because the OEM's are fairly heavy and 1X10 to drop some weight
    Do you ride this bike or just bolt on purple bits and look at it?

What a dickish post, funny enough pal i don't have time to take pictures of myself out on trails 'cause i'm too busy enjoying riding my bike. What do you want to see, pictures of me on a trail saying "I'm having a great time"?
  • AshW92
    Did someone say Purple?

imagejpg4_zps0a7b7c53.jpg

Commented on your build thread mate, love it. Always got a soft spot for an Orange
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    The purple is just awful, has no place on that bike. Sorry, but you must be colour blind. But enough about colours. Fantastic bike, it's on my shopping list. We need a big fat ride report!
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • AshW92
    The purple is just awful, has no place on that bike. Sorry, but you must be colour blind. But enough about colours. Fantastic bike, it's on my shopping list. We need a big fat ride report!

Again, completely each to their own mate, that's the funny thing about colours they're subjective and so long as i love the bike (i clearly do haha) that's the important part. Will try and get a good review of it up here at some point soon
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    I Like it...
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Laurence25
    Laurence25 Posts: 334
    Such a beautiful bike, and i love the colour scheme !
  • AshW92
    Little review

So, belated reply but i was out at Gisburn Forest yesterday, and playing up on the local trails in the hills around me today so thought i'd just give a little feedback on the bike. 6 months in and i'm still in love with it, infact i feel even more at home on it now making it an absolute joy to ride. So where to start, in terms of the spec the bike comes with it's fairly decent for £2800, and very good for the £2300 i managed to pay for it. It's a good climber actually considering it comes with the base spec Fox Evo rear shock with minimal pedal bob so long as the shock is locked out, however even on the 'trail' setting there is a bit too much pedal bob. In terms of descending this is where the bike actually comes alive, given that it is coupled with Nobby Nic's (which personally i think get too much stick, however this might just be due to me coming from 2.1 Continental SpeedKings, which are equivalent to ice skating in slippers) it is literally as simple as point and squirt, she'll go whichever way i want her to and soak up rocks/drops without troubling the shocks. The 50mm stem has made a surprising amount of difference actually, however i am now wishing i'd gone for the 35mm, and if i ever do do that i may actually go for it in black and ditch the purple grips and just get purple bars, would look much cleaner IMO.
    Not the best review in the world i appreciate, but if anyone is wondering what the Zesty's are like i hope this goes someway to helping, and i'd urge you to spend the moeny on one. Like i say i want to upgrade the rear shock to a Float X or something, and drop it to a 1X10 (personal preference), but other than that there isn't anything that NEEDS changing on these bikes, it's just me being fussy and i'd definitely recommend a Lapierre to anyone!

P.S. there are some positives to living in the countryside, epic views (pictures don't actually do them justice) up in the hills, windmills and trails in perfect harmony and i'm equi-distant between the Yorkshire Dales and the Lake District

zingw4.jpg

2r3xaw2.jpg

2qk6wkz.jpg
  • rgasuk
    rgasuk Posts: 89
    Like what Uve done so far , really like this colour on the frame, my lbs can get hold of 1 as I hear there pretty hard to come by, the weight difference between this and the 527 (carbon) is hard to tell. Ive just seen the 2015 version so think I'll wait for that .

Regards
    Road - Scott solace .
    Training - giant xtc 1
    Mtb - Yt Capra pro
    Past - Scott spark , caadx ultegra , canyon ultimate cf slx ,trek madone , ridley x-fire , giant Defy, giant trance
  • AshW92
    rgasuk wrote:
    Like what Uve done so far , really like this colour on the frame, my lbs can get hold of 1 as I hear there pretty hard to come by, the weight difference between this and the 527 (carbon) is hard to tell. Ive just seen the 2015 version so think I'll wait for that .

Regards

Saw it too mate, 2015 models do look sweet! Not sure of the difference personally, but i know i like this and wouldn't pursue swapping it for a carbon model. As for the availability, think it's more getting hold of a Lapierre in general rather than this model, i got mine from Wheelbase in Kendal, one of my local LBS's so i was lucky
  • razorrazoo
    razorrazoo Posts: 10
    Personally speaking I find there is very little bob in the trail setting when climbing, I have set the trail up to be relatively soft too as I find I forget to switch out of trail much of the time and I wanted to feel like I am using all the travel. Personally speaking I feel you compromise grip on loose climbs in climb mode and never use it, most of my climbing is short and sharp which may be a factor too. I'd like to try a CCDB air and set up the shock in a single mode to avoid even worrying about switching unless locking out.

I still think new tyres will give you most bang for your buck. The RF Turbine wheelset is not a heavyweight either, I doubt you'll save much weight with a swap out, if I swapped out it would be due to wanting a wider rim.
  • AshW92
    razorrazoo wrote:
    Personally speaking I find there is very little bob in the trail setting when climbing, I have set the trail up to be relatively soft too as I find I forget to switch out of trail much of the time and I wanted to feel like I am using all the travel. Personally speaking I feel you compromise grip on loose climbs in climb mode and never use it, most of my climbing is short and sharp which may be a factor too. I'd like to try a CCDB air and set up the shock in a single mode to avoid even worrying about switching unless locking out.

I still think new tyres will give you most bang for your buck. The RF Turbine wheelset is not a heavyweight either, I doubt you'll save much weight with a swap out, if I swapped out it would be due to wanting a wider rim.

Been riding a bit more lately, today in loose mud/roots i found myself wheel spinning more so when these tyres get a bit more worn i'm tempted to swap them out for a set of Hans Dampfs i think. Wheels aren't too heavy either, but i've heard the Stan's are much better for going tubeless which is my plan, and the Pro 2's are better hubs.

On the rear shock thing mate, i've seen on another forum (may have been singletrack world?) that you can't/shouldn't run a piggyback rear shock on these bikes (and Spicy's) because it's supposed to hit the top tube at full compression, it looks like there should be plenty of room though. I've been eyeing up a Float X or something, would love a CCDBA but they're a lot of money
  • razorrazoo
    razorrazoo Posts: 10
    The Ei shocks have a piggyback so I'm pretty sure others would be ok, check with mojo or tf if worried. Otherwise the CCDB inline is coming soon.

You'll find better tyres will help on roots, rocks, hard pack etc where there is less reliance on how much the tread digs in and more on how well the rubber itself grips.
  • AshW92
    razorrazoo wrote:
    The Ei shocks have a piggyback so I'm pretty sure others would be ok, check with mojo or tf if worried. Otherwise the CCDB inline is coming soon.

You'll find better tyres will help on roots, rocks, hard pack etc where there is less reliance on how much the tread digs in and more on how well the rubber itself grips.

Yeah i'm definitely gonna be upgrading at some point soon, realistically it'll be for better mud tyres near winter. And RE the shock that's exactly what i thought, there's a lot of room between the shock and the top tube so surely you must be able to fit one on