Advice/Help re GT Chucker Jump Bike

BLW
BLW Posts: 96
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
We have a GT Chucker in need of some loving restoration, the frame is in good nick but to be fair the rest of the bike is now knackered (my fault, just didn't look after it) and it's *ahem* a bit rusty in places :oops: so the forks, gears, chain...well the full shabang needs replacing and I have absolutely no idea as to what I should buy and have put on it (when I say that, I mean my OH will build it) but we need some experienced 'in the know' MTB peeps to suggest what to buy...be it second hand or new.

Sorry I know that may be a bit vague, feel free to ask for more info if needs be before you can suggest, will a picture of the bike help?

I'd like to use it on the downhill trails and have it as a spare but put a decent spec on it without it costing too much of a fortune....otherwise I might as well buy new.

Suggestions/advice will be much appreciated, then all I need to do is search, buy and pass to husband to re-build! :lol: (probably not that simple but that's the idea)

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Uless you are quite short, I wouldn't be using a chucker on any serious downhills, the wheelbase is too short (being a pseudo jump bike).

It would be better to post asking about each component as you go, I've worked on a few chuckers, they are all basic easy stuff, start with a Shimano cartridge bearing BB (same width as your current one), new cables, tell us what else you may need.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • What The Rookie said.
    You can get a 2nd hand Chucker in good nick for £200, so if the bike is as bad as you say, it may cost more to get it into a rideable state.
    Make a list what is working and what needs replacing.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can get a 2nd hand Chucker in good nick for £200, .
    I have had 4, the dearest cost £60 (all V-braked though, although most had all the mounts and one even had the wheels for discs), 2 were in very good condition, 1 needed some work, the 4th needed a bit more work.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.