New guy checking in!

dirkpitt74
dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
edited June 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi guys,
Thought I should introduce myselfas I've just started to get back out on my bike.

My name's Chris and currently reside not too far away from Cannock Chase.

Currently have a few years old Saracen Element 2 which I bought when I had a calf injury from running - couldn't run so physio suggested a bike. It only got used for a few months and then went back in the shed.

Fast forward 5 years and as I now have kids (3yo daughter and 7yo step son) who get on their bikes as often as they can and we live a stone's throw from Cannock Chase thought it was about time I got back on my bike.

Really liking getting out of the trails while the wife takes the kids around the paved/tarmaced areas.

Looking to upfrade my bike soon'ish as it's a bit heavy and has sprung forks.

Have thought about building my own as I enjoyed putting the kid's bikes together and fettling them.
I used to work at Halford in the cyle department when I was a student - so am fairly handy with a hammer - sorry I mean spanner :D , and things started to come back to me when sorting the kids & my bike out.

Can anyone recommend any good reference/maintenance manuals?

If I did build my own where would be a good source for a not too horrendously priced hard tail frame?

If I was looking for a new ready built ready to go bike what are peoples thoughts on the Calibre BIkes?, they appear to get good reviews - anyone got one?

Oh, and if there's anyone local to the 'Chase who wouldn't mind a slow/steady ride let me know (Have only done FTD twice and that was a few years back).

Thanks!

Chris

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Welcome!

The best maintenance 'manual' is http://www.parktools.com

Good source for a decent frame.....budget? Personally I'd get a good used one, you can get some quite nice ones for £40-50 by looking around.

The Calibre bikes are great, but the two.two can't be found for love nor money right now.....sold out!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dirkpitt74
    Thanks for the info - will check out the tutorials.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this frame from Planet-X SAB mod mortirolo 2 aluminium-mtb-frame.

Looks fairly decent and light weight @ 2kg's for £60!

Chris
  • Boromedic
    Boromedic Posts: 96
    I'd second Parktools mate, they were invaluable when I overhauled my old Orange P7. I'd also recommend the Sheldon Brown site for anything you can't find on there : http://sheldonbrown.com/

Some of it's older but still good to read on an evening supping a brew!

Can't really comment on the frame but its cheapish, don't like the canti mounts but I'm sure you can get rid of them if you don't use em. I can't see anything on geometry, might be worth reading this thread before you buy though:

viewtopic.php?t=12900301&p=18090510

Welcome to BR and good luck with your project ;-)
    "I should live in salt for leaving you, behind"

Ghost HTX Actinum 29er
  • The Rookie
    I know I am biased, but the older style Carrera frame (as used on my bike, first link in sig) is sub 1750g (16") and can be picked up for £30-40 off ebay in very good condition - that's the same weight as a Rockhopper (and it came out the same factory), why pay more for heavier? (the later Carrera frame with brace from TT to seat tube is circa 2050g).

If you are going to the effort of building a bike, you want to start with a frame worthy of the effort, otherwise you may as well by off the shelf.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dirkpitt74
    Thanks for the info.
    Is the Kraken Se frame the same as the old one?
    Thinking it was just a paint job?

1000x1000.jpg

Thanks
  • The Rookie
    That looks like the even older frame with external headset (hard to tell in black), you want the 2005-2009 frame.....