Choosing the right rise?

jamie 'jammy dodger'
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Got some pennies spare to play with,first on upgrade list is new handlebars.

I've never paid much attention to the rise on the bars,as a rule a wide bar 700mm+ and 50mm stem is my fav choice with a flatish looking bar.2 choices lined up Chromag or renthal fat bar and im curious to know how critical choosing the correct rise is? if at all or is personal preference the way forward.

Cheers for any suggestions J
Still can't wheelie :(

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Lower gives better steering. Higher is more comfortable for some people.
    I like no more than 20mm rise.
  • Kinda thought as much but nice to get thoughts verified...many thanks matey
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Also depends on the height of the front of the bike, for example if you have a 456 on 100mm forks you'd need some 40mm rise bars to get the same riding position as if it was fitted with 140mm forks with flat bars.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Mainly depends on how many stem spacers you have. If you have plenty of movement up and down, rise becomes somewhat unimportant. Less variation possibilities means you need to be more careful.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Cheers for replies.

Current bars...Ghost light rizer 700mm,20mm spacers and a 130 fork.The Chromag i like are 730 with a 25 rise.