Which lub?

snowster
snowster Posts: 490
edited June 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all after some new lub currently using Finish Line Cross Country Wet Lube any recommendations

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You're missing an e Squirt
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Finish Line Cross Country Dry Lube :-)
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Considering it's now summer I would recommend Morgan Blue Dry Lube, give your chain a good clean first though to get rid of all the wet lube.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Squirt or Finish Line Ceramic Wax are the best chain lubes I've used...by a mile.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Having recently tried Squirt on Cooldad's recommendation, I'm impressed.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ka Ching. Should've bought shares.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    So Squirt is a dry lube is it suitable for all year round or just for summer
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I use it all year round. Wet lubes are nasty and just create a claggy gritty greasy mess.
    IMHO.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • zx6man
    cooldad wrote:
    I use it all year round. Wet lubes are nasty and just create a claggy gritty greasy mess.
    IMHO.

+1
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    The one caveat is you need to get your routine right.

Complete clean and de-grease before first appication. Apply when chainset is bone dry and ideally the day before riding.

It will wear off in bad mud and very wet rides, but lasts well enough most of the time. I did all day rides in the very we Peaks and just about got away with it.
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    another +1 for squirt (again, on CD's recommendations!)

It does work very well ... slick changes and quieter chain ... and can be used effectively in wet / muddy conditions.

I do apply a bit before every ride, so am getting through it quicker than the old lube (car chain oil! :oops: ) I used to use, but it never clags up, and any crap on the drivetrain can simply be hosed off or allowed to dry and brushed off, before then re-aplying.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    zx6man wrote:
    Finish Line Cross Country Dry Lube :-)

Doesn't exist.

It's "Cross Country Wet Lube", or "Teflon Plus Dry Lube", both should be banned, the former is the stuff of the devil.

Squirt in the dry, White Lightning Wet Ride in the wet.
  • zx6man
    Finish Line "long lasting" Dry Lube then...thats what it says on my bottle

Never used the squirt stuff, may try once my supplies are running low (although I have some of the finsih line ceramic wax and the normal wax (got them all as gifts :-))
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I think Finish Line Ceramic Wax just edges Squirt in terms of performance but Squirt is 100% biodegradable and I'd also rather give the Squirt guys my money than Finish Line tbh
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • kevinharley
    kevinharley Posts: 554
    This place offers a good deal on Squirt:

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct ... oductid=41

Although you can get a 120mm bottle for around £7 elsewhere (I blame Wiggle etc), when you factor in free postage and a free 15ml bottle of squirt (to take in your day-pack), this looks a good deal for £7.94. Just ordered my second bottle of the stuff :)
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    10% off at XCRacer when you buy 3 things too, so either stock up, or get some brake pads or sommat.
  • Boromedic
    Boromedic Posts: 96
    Gonna try Squirt when my Rock N Roll runs out, but for now that's my recommendation.

Rock n Roll Blue or Gold both are great, but like the Squirt a clean and bone dry chain are important for the first application. From there it's quiet, clean & non clagging drive train heaven!!!
    "I should live in salt for leaving you, behind"

Ghost HTX Actinum 29er