Bike phone app with auto start/stop?

tangled_metal
tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
edited July 2014 in Commuting general
Everyone on here goes on and on about Strava it seems. I have it on my LG G2 smartphone. I don't know where to get a protective, waterproof case with bike mount so it's stuffed in my ortlieb pannier. That means I can't touch the start on the Strava app.
Is there something nearly as good that detects motion to start or stop the recording of your ride? I'd like to be able to turn the app on, stuff phone in pannier then ride off knowing my ride is being recorded on a map with speed data, etc being automatically recorded for download, upload or other post ride analysis. I can't afford a Garmin and haven't found a case that's right. Result of the curse of buying a high performance b phone not buying the fruit product which has a multitude of after market accessories found everywhere.

Comments

• cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    Start the recording, stuff phone in bag, stop it when you get to your destination, that's literally it.

You'll get a slightly longer overall time, but these apps detect you starting and stopping so you'll see your moving average etc as well as segment times an so on
  • kamiokande
    kamiokande Posts: 55
    I bought a phone bag from Roswheel for this very reason. It works well, you can operate the touchscreen through the PVC front although it's not quite as responsive, sometimes it misses a press and it can be a bit difficult pressing a small area accurately, but for starting and stopping Strava and checking the map without stopping for ages it works fine. I haven't tried it in the wet yet but I'd imagine it's splash proof rather than proper rain or waterproof. They do do some handlebar mounts as well, one of which is waterproof.
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    Start the recording, stuff phone in bag, stop it when you get to your destination, that's literally it.

You'll get a slightly longer overall time, but these apps detect you starting and stopping so you'll see your moving average etc as well as segment times an so on
    +1 That's what I do, and as said Strava does the automatic stop/starting for you (just not on the on-screen timer)
  • tangled_metal
    Thanks did not know about the moving average data. I'm guessing this means it records the whole trip times, average speeds, max speeds, etc including the extra timings at the end plus the same data when you are only moving. So stop at lights it still times the trip but it puts a freeze on the moving timer so you know what you were doing when actually moving???

Basically I am looking for my cateye computer, which stops and starts with your motion (few seconds lag), with a GPS and route mapping. All on the phone. So strava does this even if you have to faff with the tapping screen before stuffing in pannier.

Just prefer it to be more obvious in that you tap and it says running but the timer is not going. Would be better.

BTW anyone use any of the others such as map my ride??
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Put the phone in your jersey pocket. Use a zip lock plastic bag. Breast milk bags are a great size!
  • tangled_metal
    Put the phone in your jersey pocket. Use a zip lock plastic bag. Breast milk bags are a great size!

Need to get a jersey with pockets but good idea.

Congratulations BTW. Well I am assuming you have a young baby along with the type of bags you recommend!! If not...well...hmmm!

I hear AlokSaks for their durability are excellent. An American product developed for Navy SEALs or divers AFAIK. They are pressure tested for waterproof-ness! I reckon they are more water tight than any proper phone case you can get.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I use Endomondo. It has auto stop start and a countdown to give you chance to put it away when you start off.

It can be a bit granular with the stop / start but it's been pretty accurate so far
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    I think your find strava doesn't have auto pause time continues when your stopped Endomondo is the only one i know of which has auto pause when stopped ie traffic lights etc etc
  • Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    Try the Topeak Panobike Ridecase bracket, mobile powerpack and their own app. It's a good combo, I've been using it for 18 months now.